Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #16: April 2014

Flatfingers wrote:Is there only ever exactly one player/executive per any ship regardless of its size?
I would think so:
JoshParnell wrote:Players do not become crew members for other players, so there is no need to introduce all of the extra game mechanics that it would entail (and thank goodness, because I think we're quite close to feature saturation for LT 1.0 :shock:).
If multiple executives could serve aboard a vessel and the player is meant to be equivalent to executives, this would mean the player should be able to serve as a crew member aboard other vessels too. But this would either require Josh to do a lot of work to make playing as a crew member fun, or he would have to break player-NPC parity.
Flatfingers wrote:And although workers are not full AI, they still do some decision-making, don't they?
I describe constant-order space and time complexity algorithms for handling workers serving as crew aboard a vessel. You'd need to devote more CPU to handling worker NPCs piloting their own craft, but less than if they were full-blown executives.

I see a lot of people complaining about the swift UI in this video, but I think I'm starting to see what you're doing. It looks like there are different slides for different functions of the UI (as seen at the top of the display, the little circles) such as mining, combat, scanners, etc. I really like the fact that there's a clear one as well, if you just want to enjoy the scenery (as I'm sure I will with the way Limit Theory looks so far :) ). Overall great update, and as said before, I will watch the updates no matter how long they are! An hour long update would be okay with me :D . Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see what you do next.

Also, I have a small question. I notice that all the asteroids in Limit Theory so far have been static. In the final game, will there be moving asteroids (both slow and fast) and other objects? Will running into an asteroid, shooting it, etc, cause it to move away? I'd love to see this implemented. Maybe there could be an asteroid field orbiting around a planet that players would have to navigate? What if it contained valuable minerals that the player would have to move alongside the field to mine? Or devise a way to stop it? This is just me brainstorming here, but I was just wondering how static/ moving objects would work with physics, etc.

Sebby McWester wrote:Also, I have a small question. I notice that all the asteroids in Limit Theory so far have been static. In the final game, will there be moving asteroids (both slow and fast) and other objects? Will running into an asteroid, shooting it, etc, cause it to move away? I'd love to see this implemented. Maybe there could be an asteroid field orbiting around a planet that players would have to navigate? What if it contained valuable minerals that the player would have to move alongside the field to mine? Or devise a way to stop it? This is just me brainstorming here, but I was just wondering how static/ moving objects would work with physics, etc.
Unfortunately it has already been stated that the asteroids will be static. There will be no orbiting asteroids and when you shoot them, they will not move. There are many that definitely agree with you on how cool it would be, but this is a limitation of the engine Josh wrote and won't be changed at this late stage of development.

Welcome to the forums! :wave:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
Sebby McWester wrote:Also, I have a small question. I notice that all the asteroids in Limit Theory so far have been static. In the final game, will there be moving asteroids (both slow and fast) and other objects? Will running into an asteroid, shooting it, etc, cause it to move away? I'd love to see this implemented. Maybe there could be an asteroid field orbiting around a planet that players would have to navigate? What if it contained valuable minerals that the player would have to move alongside the field to mine? Or devise a way to stop it? This is just me brainstorming here, but I was just wondering how static/ moving objects would work with physics, etc.
Unfortunately it has already been stated that the asteroids will be static. There will be no orbiting asteroids and when you shoot them, they will not move. There are many that definitely agree with you on how cool it would be, but this is a limitation of the engine Josh wrote and won't be changed at this late stage of development.

Welcome to the forums! :wave:
Thanks for clearing that up :) .

Nice, though the UI needs work (the visual style is pleasing to my eyes though). Currently it's just large boxes with a bit of text in the middle, also in the trading menu setting the price and volume looked horribly slow, it'd be better to be able to adjust them in the same window (with the ability to set a custom price as well). WIP I know, which is exactly why it's good to say this now.

LBR wrote:Nice, though the UI needs work (the visual style is pleasing to my eyes though). Currently it's just large boxes with a bit of text in the middle, also in the trading menu setting the price and volume looked horribly slow, it'd be better to be able to adjust them in the same window (with the ability to set a custom price as well). WIP I know, which is exactly why it's good to say this now.
He's already said it was a quick way to do it that would definitely be changed in the future. No worries.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

DWMagus wrote:
Ugh, are we sure this is feature locked? I'm ok with no orbiting asteroids, but I was hoping for asteroids that can be destroyed. (either via lots of weapon fire or over mining)
My Signature

Keep in mind that this simulates a star system... in an abstract way.

By destroying all asteroids you destroy the resources of an entire star system.
How does that even work?
Blowing asteroids apart doesn't destroy them. It only makes them smaller and easier to mine.
You would have to annihilate asteroids with an equal measure of antimatter and in that case the entire star system is toast anyway. =)

Sandbox gameplay simply requires some permanence.
Like someone may be able to "mine" in an MMO, yet no matter how many are mining or for how long, the entirety of all metal veins in the MMO will not be allowed to become exhausted.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:Keep in mind that this simulates a star system... in an abstract way.

By destroying all asteroids you destroy the resources of an entire star system.
How does that even work?
Blowing asteroids apart doesn't destroy them. It only makes them smaller and easier to mine.
You would have to annihilate asteroids with an equal measure of antimatter and in that case the entire star system is toast anyway. =)

Sandbox gameplay simply requires some permanence.
Like someone may be able to "mine" in an MMO, yet no matter how many are mining or for how long, the entirety of all metal veins in the MMO will not be allowed to become exhausted.
I was hoping they would be difficult to destroy, (or to break apart into such small bits, that they are practically destroyed)
My Signature

Online Now