Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #14: February 2014

This whole discussion has reminded me of TVTropes That shit is addictive. :)
Also - in case it didn't come through, I absolutely adore Freelancer, flawed as it is.
So I figured, why not drop my 2 cents in the hopes of having some slight influence towards progress.

On the specific V vs A bit, I still maintain normal physics is better. Since gameplay is king, here's that argument: 1. It'd just be annoying slowing you down to your base. 2. Acceleration impairment would have similar if not a bigger impact in a conflict situation. And if you bring up something like "it shouldn't be that easy to enter cruise and smoke your pursuers" - Freelancer to the rescue - cruise disruptors.
Re: Development Update #14: February 2014

martixy wrote:On the specific V vs A bit, I still maintain normal physics is better. Since gameplay is king, here's that argument: 1. It'd just be annoying slowing you down to your base. 2. Acceleration impairment would have similar if not a bigger impact in a conflict situation. And if you bring up something like "it shouldn't be that easy to enter cruise and smoke your pursuers" - Freelancer to the rescue - cruise disruptors.
By "real physics" I assume you mean dragless spaceflight? Because I'm having a little trouble parsing what you're saying, otherwise. The flight mechanics I've seen displayed so far follow pretty organically from Freelancer's fluid space model, and Freelancer's flight model used standard drag equations to determine things like terminal velocities and drag (they just gave every ship the same effective cross-section, but that was editable with modding tools).

Dragless space in a Newtonian environment (and, admittedly, the single-player game doesn't need to be Newtonian; a relativistic model is feasible in single player play, but it can't be translated to any mutliplayer that may see the light of day down the road due to the lack of simultaneity in relativity) either requires weak engines or for space to be scaled up significantly from what we've seen from Limit Theory so far (try playing Freelancer with drag turned off; it's a nightmare due to the scale of the star systems). I'm not saying it's not a good mechanic, just that it's not a good mechanic for the universe Josh has shown us to date.

I'm also not really sure what you mean by acceleration impairment. Are we talking acceleration limitations imposed by biology? Engineering? Or physics? Because you need to be going stupid fast before relativity stars placing significant limitations on your observed acceleration ability.
Chan.JENI
You’ve found our frequency,
Now check out our data mine!

Jafo Entertainment & News, Inc.
Offices on major planets soon to be abandoned in favor of orbital facilities with better defenses.

Online Now