Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Katorone wrote:No, sadly I only discovered LT 2 days after the kickstarter had ended. :( You can imagine I'm still hitting myself over the head because of that. :D
I am sorry to read that Katorone, I know the feeling. :( In my case there was a really generous individual who could help me out. :D Josh doesn't take bribes, which is obviously a good thing but it always hurts me to see those who have been staunch supporters here being unable to get their hands on the KS rewards. I think that is why I appreciate the Games forum so much. It is a great way of keeping up to date with the latest developments and new KS arrivals.

Victor Tombs wrote:I am sorry to read that Katorone, I know the feeling. :( In my case there was a really generous individual who could help me out. :D
Always nice when things work out. :D
Personally I'm hoping that after LT is released some of the left-over rewards/swag will go up for auction, or translated into services. Like the hitchhikers maps (a map printing service tied into your game?). I would have loved to get a physical disk of the game, but Josh already promised exclusivity on that for KS backers also. But then there are t-shirts, posters, 3/10 schematics left, these weren't really promised exclusively to KS backers.

About the map: How cool would it be to link a projector like this to LT's universe map? If anyone has to know-how to do this, launch a KS, you got my support!
Victor Tombs wrote: Josh doesn't take bribes, which is obviously a good thing but it always hurts me to see those who have been staunch supporters here being unable to get their hands on the KS rewards. I think that is why I appreciate the Games forum so much. It is a great way of keeping up to date with the latest developments and new KS arrivals.
I love a person with principles that sticks to them. I've met many principled people whose principles only applied to others.
I don't think it's a coincidence that many of the LT regulars back the same games. So for me this subforum is very useful indeed. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

light487 wrote:Didn't really notice the twinkling of stars I have to say.. but I did notice 2 distinct twinkling or flashing lights on the surface of the planet... or so it seemed to be coming from the planet surface. I was waiting for Josh to mention those in his video but he never did... so I assumed that it was either just some object in between the camera and the planet that wasn't worthy of mention, or a bug he was still working out.. :)
I think those were the two AI ships he talked about trying to catch, then gave up on and returned to the station. So it would have been their two engines we were seeing.

@Josh, awesome update as usual and i'm pretty certain most people will be expecting some slips in the ETD for the game, it happens at huge AAA studio's too right? So keep going, keep following your intuition and heart on how the game is developing and it will be ready when it is ready.

By the way, I actually liked the unintended microphone sounds (and this has nothing to do with my optimism relating to the project). On the whole they ended up feeling like an additional layer of ambient sound, like the space equivalent of a calm nature scene. Just the sense of, you know, something working. It gave the impression that -- in addition to the obvious thrusters on the outside -- the interior of the ship, perhaps the cockpit, was also crackling with life and activity.

Might be something to consider for the final release.
Last edited by alpan on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great work on the grafics! personally I think it might be a bit too bright now. But maybe that's just the system.
And I love to see the integration between the nodes and the 3d models.

BUT WHERE ARE MY NOOODLES?!

(noodles are the lines inbetween the nodes, at least for us old NukeX and Shake fans).

The noodles are very important for a node interface. Whithout them the nodes are just particles with random positions. And it gets very tricky to figure out how they interact with eachother.
Like for example, in the "ship interface". Shouldn't there be a noodle going from the power-generator to all other hardpoints. And maybe some noodles inbetween all the guns and so on?
And maybe between the "sensor", and a "targeting-system".

Also on the system map, there should be some on the wormholes and planets. And maybe even on the ships and thier destinations.

We really need theese lines in order to see the realtionships between the objects. And to be honest that's pretty much the main point with a node interface.
Can't see why you removed so many of them...

rickisen wrote:
We really need theese lines in order to see the realtionships between the objects. And to be honest that's pretty much the main point with a node interface.
Can't see why you removed so many of them...
Not sure which specifically you are referring to that have been removed. But generally, the 'noodle's you have seen would have been representing the links of the hierarchy in the data structure. Meaning, what you have seen previously / currently is likely always a parent/child relationship, where the noodles represent an object/property/whatever that is contained within / descended from another.

Any noodles representing relationships along the lines of power generation to weapons systems would likely have to be added separately, as while they are linked conceptually, they are likely not directly linked within the data structure in the manner you have in mind.

Anyways, your point is valid, seeing links between items representing some level of interaction is certainly a good idea. Just wanted to point out I don't think it's something that was previously present and removed, but would rather be something new to implement.

Katorone wrote:Personally I'm hoping that after LT is released some of the left-over rewards/swag will go up for auction, or translated into services. Like the hitchhikers maps (a map printing service tied into your game?). I would have loved to get a physical disk of the game, but Josh already promised exclusivity on that for KS backers also. But then there are t-shirts, posters, 3/10 schematics left, these weren't really promised exclusively to KS backers.

About the map: How cool would it be to link a projector like this to LT's universe map? If anyone has to know-how to do this, launch a KS, you got my support!
I have no idea how the physical rewards side of the project is going. I was hoping I could talk him into exclusive Josh bobbleheads but he didn't like that idea. :lol: Can't say I blame him really. He has mentioned the book a few times. I vaguely remember him talking about working on the outline of contents but that was a long time ago.

I do hope you get a chance to pick up some of the leftovers. I doubt if there will be much surplus.

Thanks for the link. Yes it would be cool.

Congrats Josh - you made my year with this latest update.

Completely understand your pushing out the development of LT, but on the basis of your latest vid, I can't wait to see how the AI deals with delegation in the future.

It is truly fantastic to see the nodal overlay (that ship popping up with all mounting points was a blast! :D ).

One thing I've always been a fan of is the thruster jets (and their colours).

Fantastic that you're still enthusiastic with LT, and I hope 2014 brings you all that you wish for :D

[OT]
Just finished Galaxy On Fire 2 and loved the exploration / upgrading-ship-to-max-before-upgrading-ship elements of the game.
Kinda bummed by the lack of proper gameplay in X Rebirth, but looking forward to some MCSE exams before I play more games.
[/OT]
Last edited by TheO on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The O

There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary,
and those who don't.

I got a lump in my throat while Josh was working up nerve to verbally announce the new release estimate. :|
I'm behind you 100%, Mr. Parnell, as a missed-backing-and-very-interested-in-the-aforementioned-hypothetical-swag-auctions fan. Oh, for a physical copy of "Architecture of a Universe"! All in for Limit Theory!

The sparkly artifact was indeed distracting, but the Shinies were great! Ships and station both looked quite smug in their new clothes. Movement sensation & Nebula improvement was big! :D
..and succeeding where November failed: new wallpaper.

Also, it gave me special pleasure to view the hard-won NPC delegation happening on screen. Though this first peek was rudimentary indeed, 'twas no less exciting to see.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Gryphon0468 wrote:This may just be the smartest, most advanced AI ever created. I mean for anything ever, not just games. Josh is solving all sorts of problems for AI reasoning that it could well have real effects in the world of AI development.
Josh could be inadvertently contributing to the destruction of the world. :D

Or maybe it's not inadvertent! I have this strange fantasy going through my head right now that Josh is secretly a compassionate-minded negative utilitarian covertly attempting to destroy the world, and that Limit Theory is just a guise for his attempts to create an extremely intelligent AI with the capability of doing so:
David Pearce wrote:Strictly speaking, however, humanity is more likely to be wiped out by idealists than by misanthropes, death-cults or psychologically unstable dictators. Anti-natalist philosopher David Benatar's plea ("Better Never to Have Been") for human extinction via voluntary childlessness must fail if only by reason of selection pressure; but not everyone who shares Benatar's bleak diagnosis of life on Earth will be so supine. Unless we modify human nature, compassionate-minded negative utilitarians, with competence in bioweaponry, nanorobotics or artificial intelligence, for example, may quite conceivably take direct action. Echoing Moore's law, Eliezer Yudkowsky warns that "Every eighteen months, the minimum IQ necessary to destroy the world drops by one point”.
I've spoken with David Pearce (he's a really nice chap) and he's not actually heard of any other "compassionate-minded negative utilitarians" trying to destroy the world. But of course, if they were intelligent, they wouldn't reveal their intentions to anyone to maximise their chances of success!

It helps this fantasy that there are a number of parallels that can be drawn between me and Josh. We're both 21, both in our third year of study, both attending pretty good universities, both studying computer science. I've always dreamed of a smarter, more dedicated version of myself being somewhere out there in the world, working on some extremely advanced AI with the pretense of it being for something other than the annihilation of the world.

Of course this is all just pleasant imagination and I don't actually believe any of it, and it would be extreme hubris to say Josh is in any way "a version of myself". It's just a fantasy, as all.

The holographic ship/station interface and effects are looking pretty sweet! Also, I got to admit I loved the greenish engine exhaust on the ship. :D

But of course graphics are not the only things I observed in December's dev update; the feature that excites me the most is that Limit Theory isn't some pre-scripted game with cheating NPC's and AI, but is instead a dynamic game where the NPC's and AI have to follow the same rules that the player has. Limit Theory is easily my most anticipated game, and like you said in the dev update, we wouldn't want LT to be rushed.

At any rate awesome work Josh!

Online Now