Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Flatfingers wrote:
ThymineC wrote:What's there to visually distinguish nebulae that emit light to those that reflect it?
Both need nearby stars. But reflection nebulae usually reflect light in blue wavelengths, while the hydrogen atoms in emission nebulae usually glow red from ionization due to ultraviolet radiation.

The Trifid Nebula is a great example of both kinds (and dark nebula as well).
Oh okay, that's cool. So if the main visual distinction is colour, it should in theory be pretty simple for Josh. He just makes some of them blue-ish, and others more reddish?

ThymineC wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
ThymineC wrote:What's there to visually distinguish nebulae that emit light to those that reflect it?
Both need nearby stars. But reflection nebulae usually reflect light in blue wavelengths, while the hydrogen atoms in emission nebulae usually glow red from ionization due to ultraviolet radiation.

The Trifid Nebula is a great example of both kinds (and dark nebula as well).
Oh okay, that's cool. So if the main visual distinction is colour, it should in theory be pretty simple for Josh. He just makes some of them blue-ish, and others more reddish?
Very cool, It would be even cooler yet if you as the pilot of your vessel could apply different falsifications to your "display" to really pop out different details of the nebula. For instance you could fly around viewing your surroundings in visible and then switch over to infrared or ultraviolet! Then again space tourism probably is not so important for now, though it was really cool how Josh was in search of the perfect nebula through his procedurally generated universe!

Astronomy geeks like me would love it if Josh made the distinction, but it's probably too finicky for not enough gameplay value unless different kinds of nebulae have different effects. It might be interesting if, for example, reflection nebulae inhibited sensors while the hot, ionized gas of an emission nebula slowly damaged ship hulls or shields. (Though the latter case would mean stations wouldn't be built inside red emission nebulae, and the number of emission nebulae might need to be dialed back a bit.)

Otherwise it's just a passing thought, since Josh mentioned emission nebula.

Flatfingers wrote:Astronomy geeks like me would love it if Josh made the distinction, but it's probably too finicky for not enough gameplay value unless different kinds of nebulae have different effects. It might be interesting if, for example, reflection nebulae inhibited sensors while the hot, ionized gas of an emission nebula slowly damaged ship hulls or shields. (Though the latter case would mean stations wouldn't be built inside red emission nebulae, and the number of emission nebulae might need to be dialed back a bit.)

Otherwise it's just a passing thought, since Josh mentioned emission nebula.
Woah, so we get to fly through nebulae? That'd be awesome. I'm sure you never got to do that in EVE Online, they were just pretty things you saw far off in the distance.

Realistically speaking, what would it look like flying through a nebula? Would you be able to see clearly or would everything seem obscured?

I think stations should still be able to exist inside emission nebula if they cause damage. You can just say that stations are able to equip some bulky technology (a powerful enough shield?) that provides sufficient protection from the ionised gas but would be too impractical to fit on a ship.

WOW, the SHINY! :lol: My jaw dropped and I just died after watching the video. :ghost:

HDR definitely adds a ton of SHINY to the environment and great job on the new dust & nebula! Love that dynamic lighting is truly dynamic now...I can trace the bolt of light across the hull of ships...and realize it is coming for me! :shock: Love the 3-D holographic display too! A brilliant implementation of it, Josh! Like you said, you get all these features for free! :thumbup:

A couple of observations on the video: will there be a drop-down menu to select a few check boxes so you can filter a selection of things rather than only individual items? Also, I'm assuming station docking animation is in the works and they're not just going to travel to any arbitrary point on the station to *poof* and vanish? :wave:
In Josh we trust.

Nice update Josh!

Two things that bothered me in your showing of the nodal interface:
1. From the sector map, it was not obvious where the "station bound" ships were going without your commentary. Can we get some optional vector and/or projected destination lines in the map?
2. Can you give us the option to lock down some or all of the 6 degrees of freedom (particularly rotational DoF's) while navigating interfaces?

Keep up the great work! :clap:

P.S. Great decision on extending the release date... people remember great quality much more than schedule delays.

Victor Tombs wrote:Agreed! I assume you were on the KS and transferred to the forums when it completed. I don't distinguish between the two as it feels like the same continuous event. Except for the chatroll nature of KS which had it's charm. :D
No, sadly I only discovered LT 2 days after the kickstarter had ended. :( You can imagine I'm still hitting myself over the head because of that. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Once again Josh delivers something new we knew about the holographic nodes from hints from the logs and of course is AI work,but the split screen was a bit jaw dropping the possibilities for UI configuration are endless and no doubt he will come up with another amazing feature in the next update,I'm getting a bit blasé now when I see the updates just expect to see something unique. :thumbup:

Online Now