Development Update #12: December 2013

Read and discuss the latest big updates in the development process.

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby Flatfingers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:20 pm

ThymineC wrote:What's there to visually distinguish nebulae that emit light to those that reflect it?

Both need nearby stars. But reflection nebulae usually reflect light in blue wavelengths, while the hydrogen atoms in emission nebulae usually glow red from ionization due to ultraviolet radiation.

The Trifid Nebula is a great example of both kinds (and dark nebula as well).
User avatar
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 4483
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby ThymineC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 pm

Flatfingers wrote:
ThymineC wrote:What's there to visually distinguish nebulae that emit light to those that reflect it?

Both need nearby stars. But reflection nebulae usually reflect light in blue wavelengths, while the hydrogen atoms in emission nebulae usually glow red from ionization due to ultraviolet radiation.

The Trifid Nebula is a great example of both kinds (and dark nebula as well).

Oh okay, that's cool. So if the main visual distinction is colour, it should in theory be pretty simple for Josh. He just makes some of them blue-ish, and others more reddish?
User avatar
ThymineC
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby Hart of Lions » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 pm

ThymineC wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
ThymineC wrote:What's there to visually distinguish nebulae that emit light to those that reflect it?

Both need nearby stars. But reflection nebulae usually reflect light in blue wavelengths, while the hydrogen atoms in emission nebulae usually glow red from ionization due to ultraviolet radiation.

The Trifid Nebula is a great example of both kinds (and dark nebula as well).

Oh okay, that's cool. So if the main visual distinction is colour, it should in theory be pretty simple for Josh. He just makes some of them blue-ish, and others more reddish?


Very cool, It would be even cooler yet if you as the pilot of your vessel could apply different falsifications to your "display" to really pop out different details of the nebula. For instance you could fly around viewing your surroundings in visible and then switch over to infrared or ultraviolet! Then again space tourism probably is not so important for now, though it was really cool how Josh was in search of the perfect nebula through his procedurally generated universe!
User avatar
Hart of Lions
Ensign
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby ThymineC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:05 pm

[Accidentally overwrote everything I wrote here. frak.]
Last edited by ThymineC on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
ThymineC
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby Flatfingers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:10 pm

Astronomy geeks like me would love it if Josh made the distinction, but it's probably too finicky for not enough gameplay value unless different kinds of nebulae have different effects. It might be interesting if, for example, reflection nebulae inhibited sensors while the hot, ionized gas of an emission nebula slowly damaged ship hulls or shields. (Though the latter case would mean stations wouldn't be built inside red emission nebulae, and the number of emission nebulae might need to be dialed back a bit.)

Otherwise it's just a passing thought, since Josh mentioned emission nebula.
User avatar
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 4483
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby ThymineC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 pm

Flatfingers wrote:Astronomy geeks like me would love it if Josh made the distinction, but it's probably too finicky for not enough gameplay value unless different kinds of nebulae have different effects. It might be interesting if, for example, reflection nebulae inhibited sensors while the hot, ionized gas of an emission nebula slowly damaged ship hulls or shields. (Though the latter case would mean stations wouldn't be built inside red emission nebulae, and the number of emission nebulae might need to be dialed back a bit.)

Otherwise it's just a passing thought, since Josh mentioned emission nebula.

Woah, so we get to fly through nebulae? That'd be awesome. I'm sure you never got to do that in EVE Online, they were just pretty things you saw far off in the distance.

Realistically speaking, what would it look like flying through a nebula? Would you be able to see clearly or would everything seem obscured?

I think stations should still be able to exist inside emission nebula if they cause damage. You can just say that stations are able to equip some bulky technology (a powerful enough shield?) that provides sufficient protection from the ionised gas but would be too impractical to fit on a ship.
User avatar
ThymineC
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby TanC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:48 pm

WOW, the SHINY! :lol: My jaw dropped and I just died after watching the video. :ghost:

HDR definitely adds a ton of SHINY to the environment and great job on the new dust & nebula! Love that dynamic lighting is truly dynamic now...I can trace the bolt of light across the hull of ships...and realize it is coming for me! :shock: Love the 3-D holographic display too! A brilliant implementation of it, Josh! Like you said, you get all these features for free! :thumbup:

A couple of observations on the video: will there be a drop-down menu to select a few check boxes so you can filter a selection of things rather than only individual items? Also, I'm assuming station docking animation is in the works and they're not just going to travel to any arbitrary point on the station to *poof* and vanish? :wave:
In Josh we trust.
User avatar
TanC
Captain
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:22 pm
Location: Malaysia

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby Ashenraynor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:53 am

Nice update Josh!

Two things that bothered me in your showing of the nodal interface:
1. From the sector map, it was not obvious where the "station bound" ships were going without your commentary. Can we get some optional vector and/or projected destination lines in the map?
2. Can you give us the option to lock down some or all of the 6 degrees of freedom (particularly rotational DoF's) while navigating interfaces?

Keep up the great work! :clap:

P.S. Great decision on extending the release date... people remember great quality much more than schedule delays.
Ashenraynor
Ensign
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby light487 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:14 am

I can't remember if Josh said that basically every system is going to have nebula or not.. I certainly hope that every system won't have a nebula.. need more diversity than that.
User avatar
light487
Captain
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby Kvallning » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:40 am

He has said before there will be dark systems, he just picks the fancy ones for dev updates because they're shiny.
Grumblesaur wrote:we're going to need
Kvallning wrote:to get beyond Thunderdome
The Four Word Story Thread|IRC Needs You!|Game FAQ
There is NO PREORDER OR DONATION POSSIBILITY
In Josh we trust.
User avatar
Kvallning
Commander
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:37 am
Location: British Columbia, CA

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby Katorone » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:28 am

Victor Tombs wrote:Agreed! I assume you were on the KS and transferred to the forums when it completed. I don't distinguish between the two as it feels like the same continuous event. Except for the chatroll nature of KS which had it's charm. :D


No, sadly I only discovered LT 2 days after the kickstarter had ended. :( You can imagine I'm still hitting myself over the head because of that. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
User avatar
Katorone
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:08 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby TONES » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:32 am

I notice that systems are usually one color during the Vlogs. Will there be systems with more overall color diversity?
User avatar
TONES
Recruit
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:09 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby Katorone » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:39 am

TONES wrote:I notice that systems are usually one color during the Vlogs. Will there be systems with more overall color diversity?

Ssst, don't wake Graphics Josh for now. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
User avatar
Katorone
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:08 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby Lum » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:00 am

It all looks very shiny indeed :D The contract "board" implies so many mind blowing possibilities... wow... :shock:
User avatar
Lum
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:10 pm
Location: Potsdam (Germany)

Re: Development Update #12: December 2013

Postby darker70 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:27 am

Once again Josh delivers something new we knew about the holographic nodes from hints from the logs and of course is AI work,but the split screen was a bit jaw dropping the possibilities for UI configuration are endless and no doubt he will come up with another amazing feature in the next update,I'm getting a bit blasé now when I see the updates just expect to see something unique. :thumbup:
User avatar
darker70
Captain
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:28 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 7 guests