Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #10: October 2013

Victor Tombs wrote:
Gazz wrote:Chicken Wing Commanders?
So many awesome meanings!

Perhaps I should have warned you about Gazz. He has been known to claw and nibble on members occasionally but it is rarely anything serious. Elite Commanders are used to such minor attacks. :lol:

Right On Commander! :D

'Chicken Wing' Commanders?

'Chicken' Wing commanders?

I CAN'T DECIDE!

THERE
ARE
FOUR
LIGHTS

In Josh we trust

Alimarin wrote:
Katawa wrote:"Chicken-Wing, Commander?"
"Chick... In Wing Commander?"
Angel?
Victor Tombs wrote:
Zak Gordon wrote:Anyway just wanted to say thanks for a completely amazing update as usual for LT. You are all doing wonders here.
I am sure Josh and the LT community (of which you are a part, don't forget) are encouraged by your kind words. Now, is there any chance of one or two of my Elite brethren posting the occasional morsel in the Elite Dangerous thread in our Games section? I will do the same on the LT thread as I've been doing for sometime now. I think we've established that Commanders are welcome here and we really don't bite. :D
I post in the Limit Theory thread on the Elite forums from time to time, but my main contribution is for keeping the guys at Quartertothree updated in this thread:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... ost3473192

Brian Rubin (that thread starter) is a complete space game nut (in the nicest sense), infact he runs his own site for all things space simish:

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/

In terms of posting on the Limit Theory forums i sort of have faith (and a feeling) Josh is the kind of designer that works best digging up inspiration from within, so i sort of somehow just trust that he will get it right without my input ;)

SC i sort of gave up on (but am still a funder), as it became more a vessel about fund raising than anything else and i do worry about the unlevel playing field all that will entail in the games design.

Elite: Dangerous i'm also more worried about, in part due to the almost disastrous Kickstarter (UK only was a big part of it, but the lack of info/screens/video's in the early phase had an effect), the 'outside private investors' influence (not crowdfunding), and also the main focus on the MP aspect which i'm not that interested in, being an Elite 'Traditionalist' (if it ain't broke don't fix it).

But yeah my gut designers instinct tells me Limit Theory in Joshes capable hands (not blowing smoke here, the results so far speak for themself) is the safest bet for the most awesome SP space sim this decade.

No pressure :D

Zak Gordon wrote:I post in the Limit Theory thread on the Elite forums from time to time, but my main contribution is for keeping the guys at Quartertothree updated in this thread:

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... ost3473192

Brian Rubin (that thread starter) is a complete space game nut (in the nicest sense), infact he runs his own site for all things space simish:

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/
Understood Zak, I have seen you posting here and in the Limit Theory thread. I assumed by your post count over there that you were more committed to the ED project than you obviously are. No worries.

I visit Space Game Junkie fairly regularly to see what games are being reviewed etc. but I have never visited Quartertothree. :)

The folks at Rock Paper Shotgun have another glowing post about Limit Theory.

This time it's about Update #10. They're pleased with the space update, but amazed by the data editor:
This video talks about the tech tree and the modding UI, and you just have to watch it. He’s procedurally generated tech-trees, and the modding interface is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.
And I think they don't even realize yet that it's more than just a pretty .ini file editor, and that Josh wants to expose functions as well as pure data.

Heh. :)

Oh, and the comments there are asking what I asked, which is whether the editor can be spun off as its own general-purpose tool, or if it's too tightly bound to a particular code base or language. People can see value....

Celebrochan wrote:Will we be able to set the color of our pulse lasers to cycle through the color pallet? Shifting like the fiber optic toys they sell in stores?
Gazz wrote:Interesting effect but what game mechanic would you tie to that? What would be the purpose?
In case they have adaptive shields? :-) I don't really expect it to have an in game purpose, I just get bored with stable colors and don't want to have to muck with it

Edit(I love the ability to muck with it, I just don't want to have to do it every time I get tired of the color).
Edit 2: It could also represent weapons that aren't calibrated well or that have low quality components or that have taken battle damage, they give colors within a range rather than a single stable color.
Last edited by Celebrochan on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Celebrochan wrote:
Celebrochan wrote:Will we be able to set the color of our pulse lasers to cycle through the color pallet? Shifting like the fiber optic toys they sell in stores?
Gazz wrote:Interesting effect but what game mechanic would you tie to that? What would be the purpose?
In case they have adaptive shields? :-) I don't really expect it to have an in game purpose, I just get bored with stable colors and don't want to have to muck with it.
Not to mention the hilarity of making your enemy "taste" the rainbow!

Jerek Adams wrote:
Celebrochan wrote:
In case they have adaptive shields? :-) I don't really expect it to have an in game purpose, I just get bored with stable colors and don't want to have to muck with it.
Not to mention the hilarity of making your enemy "taste" the rainbow!
*snicker* good one... but it would also be neat if you could choose to make it shift "like a rainbow" from one color to another, or have the bolts come out random colors.

Edit: Random Colors or random shades of one color or a random color between two points on a color slider.
Last edited by Celebrochan on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gazz wrote:.
Development Update #10 summed up:
Image Image Again! =)
I rib him about it Gazz but it's comforting to see him doing it. I would definitely start worrying about him if he ever stopped. The animation sums it up though; blast away like crazy but no sign of real visible damage.
Flatfingers wrote:The folks at Rock Paper Shotgun have another glowing post about Limit Theory.
I could give the RPS folks a big virtual hug for the way they have treated Josh right from the start. :D

Online Now