Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #6: June 2013

"Much larger payload" seems to be the operational difference, as far as I can tell.

It's apparently like distinguishing boats from ships -- size matters, in some undefinable way.

In gameplay terms, the old Wing Commander distinction that missiles (dumb-fire or seeking) are fast but only mildly powerful, while torpedoes are big, slow, lumbering things that pack a mighty wallop, still seems very reasonable to me. Keeping torpedoes unguided (so that you have to get in close to avoid the torpedo being picked off before impact) also still seems like an entertaining requirement, but maybe that's something worth tweaking in LT if it goes this route.

Matthew Cason wrote:The textures are looking jaw-droppingly good! EvE-online quality stuff and indeed, better than some of the work their team of God knows how many graphic artists have come up with. I was drooling at the close-ups of that battleship.
Just for reference, I looked at some EvE videos after watching the update. Here are some thoughts:

1) Josh - your bloom/shading is better.
2) Your god rays may need a little tweaking, but are awesome.
3) The EvE hulls/textures are actually less sophistocated/detailed.
4) You don't have nearly as much lens flare as EvE (which is a good thing in my opinion).
5) I did notice EvE ships have windows, window lights, and running lights, which might be good to add. (Also, see this classic scene for ship lighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKogc14hHtQ from 0:43 to 0:54 for what I mean)

A.k.a awesome work! I'm looking forward to seeing how factions do their armor/hull differently, but all in good time. I'm super excited to see what you come up with for Universe simulation after reading your dev logs!

Gazz wrote:There are many ways to spin this.
You could have a "charge-up" time before a "torpedo" is released. When you pull the trigger, you get 2 circles on the HUD. The larger one starts shrinking. When it connects with the other, the torpedo is launched.
If the target leaves the large circle, the firing is aborted.

A lock-on time, only with more involvement because you actually have to do something to make it happen. You're also a bit limited in your maneuverability during that time...
I've always liked how Wing Commander 2 did it with the torpedo runs. It's a make-or-break situation and I think it's fair to require the player to need to remain targeting until a torpedo lock could be obtained as torpedoes pack a huge punch.
In Josh we trust.

I think it's fair to require the player to need to remain targeting until a torpedo lock could be obtained as torpedoes pack a huge punch.
Although that one torpedo run, toward the end of WC II I think -- where you're getting hammered while waiting two minutes for a full lock-on and still frequently getting your torpedo destroyed once it's finally launched -- was a real bear.

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Gazz wrote:Wing Commander didn't have strafe keys. =)

But if we're feeling mean, we could make the lock-on timer slow down while a strafe key is pressed...
Do it. Torpedo runs are meant to be dangerous :twisted:
Actually they should be dangerous. Just having one bomber demolish your proud battleship with one puny little missile should be a challenge.
In Josh we trust.

The most important balance issue for me when it comes to "torpedoes" (or capital class missiles) is that they can be mounted externally on fighters/bombers and only one or two of them at once = no reloading.

Reloading mechanisms take space and the best way to do it IMHO is having different launchers ranging from quickfire with mostly reloading to pylon/external that might be only 20% as big (for the same size missile). Between them can be either just a standard launcher or a range of launcher with varying size/reload speed.

Do you want your ship to fire one big missile or a steady stream of smaller ones? Your choice.

Online Now