Return to “Everything & Anything”

Why am I only a Recruit?

My rank is Recruit. This is upsetting. I should be a 5 Star General, or maybe a Sr. Giant Squid Monster. Thank you.
Spoiler:      SHOW
I'm joking and I'm bored. Apparently spoiler tag's don't work. DANGIT
Edit: I meant to post this in the off-topic forum. Sorry.
Re: Why am I only a Recruit?

If Scalar Field is the highest rank, then I shall be the Spinor Field. (yeh, go ahead. soil your drawers)

By the way, in my opinion, I think its a bad idea to use scalar fields as a medium for simulating most physical processes. I don't get why people are trying to come up with new algorithms in that sort of area. That's just asking for lots of unnecessary derivation. Haha, I remember implementing collisions directly with a height map (for a terrain thingy). Waste of time. Also, If you have a fractal noise function, isn't it a good idea to use the 'fractal itself' virtually as a medium to accelerate propagation of effects in a dynamical field?

Indicable wrote:If Scalar Field is the highest rank, then I shall be the Spinor Field. (yeh, go ahead. soil your drawers)

By the way, in my opinion, I think its a bad idea to use scalar fields as a medium for simulating most physical processes. I don't get why people are trying to come up with new algorithms in that sort of area. That's just asking for lots of unnecessary derivation. Haha, I remember implementing collisions directly with a height map (for a terrain thingy). Waste of time. Also, If you have a fractal noise function, isn't it a good idea to use the 'fractal itself' virtually as a medium to accelerate propagation of effects in a dynamical field?
Well, I don't use spinor fields in the game I'm afraid :P So it would be a lie! Maybe that rank should be reserved for future use...

The best reason I can give to use them and think in terms of functions is: not only is it a simple way to understand many things, but it's also the way the real world works. Thinking down to the very particle nature of the world, what is driving everything? Potential fields generated by the four fundamental forces! It governs collisions, gravity, and probably a lot of things I don't know about. And I'm not sure what you mean with the simulating / coming up with new algorithms. I don't do much physical simulation in LT. But if you have an example of something that you think is more simply understood in another way rather than as a function, feel free to provide it!

They're just a particularly natural way to think about models, textures, icons, collision detection, and, most recently, AI movement patterns and formations. I can't imagine any other concept that could unify all these things. The ability to drive all of these seemingly-disparate processes with the same underlying representation is a massive win! Yields a huge reduction in code complexity. And of course, having a purely-mathematical representation of something is never a bad thing...can lead to lots of cool bonus features.

And BTW, I don't think implementing collisions with a heightmap is a waste of time at all! Simplifying dimensionality of collision checking from 3 to 2 is a pretty big win!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I can't imagine any other concept that could unify all these things.
I, Sir, have had several speculations in my pants... I'm not going to rant about them again... I need to grip more to explain my ideas :)

(blip: Tensor Automatons -- not exactly fields -- is the name of one of them, probably the most relevant one)
Simplifying dimensionality of collision checking from 3 to 2 is a pretty big win!
Meh. Dimensionality can be good sometimes. I guess you're right in this case, though. I really favor a single collisions implementation over specializations. OH YOU, ADDING COMPLEXITY LIKE AN EVIL SIR. (teasing you)

Edit:
Oh, is your collisions engine voxelizing meshs and using 'le voxels? I guess that'd be unified collisions with a scalar field.
but it's also the way the real world works.
False. False false false.
Wish I understood *fields theory
From what I understand, it's generally just like n-dimensional arrays of various units; anything from a bitmap, to a planar fluid simulation or a light propagation volume.
George The Sailor wrote:a scalar field associates a scalar value to every point in a space.
'Not difficult to wrap your head around.
Last edited by Indicable on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unnecessary bump:
Me wrote:I'm interested in establishing a framework to dynamically reduce explicit/classical representations into various orders of abstraction with intent to simplify computation necessary for the simulation of systems. If you prefer that I specify how I imagine these systems might be, consider a very large set of points which may exhert various forces upon each other (classically, like particles) within the system e.g. exhibits contact dynamics and supports modelling external forces and fields from outside the system of points. Consider a large number of these points behave like a fluid, and they're contained in a way that can be approximated using a planar-surface fluid approximation method. I haven't researched these enough yet (planar fluid approximations), but I think it's an interesting idea to explore means to adaptively approximate systems using poweful mathematical generalizations. Of course, this particular type of fluid approximation I just gave for example is very limited (planar), but that's why I'm interested in adaptiveness; specifically a broad framework of malleate abstraction devices that can effectively perform these adaptations.

I like to think of this strategy like the theme of the book "A Wrinkle In Time"; virtually traversing spacetime by welding two points together into one. Rather than brute forcing the simulation, congruences may be identified (transitive actions, linear dependence, fractal phenomena etc.) to yield shortcuts and inherently simplify computation. You may call this an adaptive model or approximation.

I'm thinking of some kind of "tensor automaton, " if you can imagine what I mean by that (think of an intelligent lego sculpture). Are you aware of any ideas or do you know of information that is relevant and maybe interesting to this topic? Please discuss your thoughts.
P.s. Oh, I guess I am ranting about this. Btw, I somewhat mentioned this concept when talking about fractal noise two posts ago.

"I, Sir, have had several speculations in my pants... I'm not going to rant about them again... I need to grip more to explain my ideas :)

(blip: Tensor Automatons -- not exactly fields -- is the name of one of them, probably the most relevant one)
:P Well, no need to rant, but it's hard to argue against something that one cannot see :shock: When you've formulated your ideas, we can discuss them concretely I suppose?
Meh. Dimensionality can be good sometimes. I guess you're right in this case, though. I really favor a single collisions implementation over specializations. OH YOU, ADDING COMPLEXITY LIKE AN EVIL SIR. (teasing you)
Oh no I completely agree with you, I avoid specialization at all costs :D Just saying that, realistically, heightmap collision can be substantially accelerated by taking advantage of its structure. But personally I probably wouldn't specialize it either, for the sake of generality.
Oh, is your collisions engine voxelizing meshs and using 'le voxels? I guess that'd be unified collisions with a scalar field.
Right now it's using a triangle-based algorithm, but I will probably change it later to directly use the fields so that it can run on the GPU. Mathematically, unified collisions under a field is absurdly simple: two functions, f and g, find x such that f(x) = g(x) = 0. Nice!
False. False false false.
Well you're going to need to elaborate a bit, because wikipedia, the ever-present argumentative force, is one my side...(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_potential http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_potential). Sorry, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence by linking articles to potential..but without explaining your objection...it's the best I can do :?
Me wrote:I'm interested in establishing a framework to dynamically reduce explicit/classical representations into various orders of abstraction with intent to simplify computation necessary for the simulation of systems. If you prefer that I specify how I imagine these systems might be, consider a very large set of points which may exhert various forces upon each other (classically, like particles) within the system e.g. exhibits contact dynamics and supports modelling external forces and fields from outside the system of points. Consider a large number of these points behave like a fluid, and they're contained in a way that can be approximated using a planar-surface fluid approximation method. I haven't researched these enough yet (planar fluid approximations), but I think it's an interesting idea to explore means to adaptively approximate systems using poweful mathematical generalizations. Of course, this particular type of fluid approximation I just gave for example is very limited (planar), but that's why I'm interested in adaptiveness; specifically a broad framework of malleate abstraction devices that can effectively perform these adaptations.

I like to think of this strategy like the theme of the book "A Wrinkle In Time"; virtually traversing spacetime by welding two points together into one. Rather than brute forcing the simulation, congruences may be identified (transitive actions, linear dependence, fractal phenomena etc.) to yield shortcuts and inherently simplify computation. You may call this an adaptive model or approximation.

I'm thinking of some kind of "tensor automaton, " if you can imagine what I mean by that (think of an intelligent lego sculpture). Are you aware of any ideas or do you know of information that is relevant and maybe interesting to this topic? Please discuss your thoughts.
It sounds great, but I'm not sure how it is relevant to the applications to which I've spoken of applying fields. You're speaking of simulating systems, I'm speaking of using fields as mechanisms to define and control a behavior (i.e. a surface, a collision interaction, AI movement, etc). I'm not seeing the conflict of ideas? There is no large-system simulation involved in any of the applications I've mentioned. Really, I'm just talking about the underlying representation of the algorithms used in the game, and how a unified representation can be exploited to certain ends. But if you have a better representation, I'm all for it, but it sounds as though you're speaking of developing accelerators for computing interactions, which is not really what I'm doing.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Well you're going to need to elaborate a bit, because wikipedia, the ever-present argumentative force, is one my side...
I will refute you with one word: Incompleteness. Suck it! :lol:
There is no large-system simulation involved in any of the applications I've mentioned.
Yes, I understand the difference.
Right now it's using a triangle-based algorithm
What's the magic secret sauce you mentioned on your blog? haha, please don't tell me it's spatial hashing. :mrgreen:

Online Now