Return to “Everything & Anything”

How to manage an idea?

Everyone has amazing ideas for video games.

This is not just rhetoric; a long time ago I concluded that most intelligent gamers have one or two ideas that would make for a good game if executed well. However unlike other endeavours like car engine patents and such, when it comes to video game design, ideas are worth very little compared to the effort of actually getting stuff done. That's why I admire Josh so much, and people like him, because they sit down and make it happen. We've seen it a lot with the indie industry lately. Who could've seen Minecraft coming? If you find a way to describe Minecraft objectively it doesn't seem like such a big deal; but the actual execution of the game drove people crazy.

That said, I think I have a pretty good idea for a game. I got to this point in such a convoluted way because I wanted to make clear I know how little this is worth. I am the kind of person that has dozens of ideas and leaves them behind, which is not helping my self-esteem (however in this moment of my life I'm devoting my entire time to my degree so I don't have much left for creation). I could see this one slipping by, but I want it to be different this time. I'd love if something came out of this, because for once I think it's worthwhile.

So what steps would you take to turn an idea into something workable? Would you be a bit paranoid about sharing it with strangers for fear of it being stolen? (I have the intuition that this is a non-issue, because the industry is so saturated with good ideas that it would take extremely bad luck to have mine stolen and becoming a success). If you weren't, and it turned out that people like the sound of it, would you tackle it personally or aim for funding / outside development? If so, who would you talk to? (the LT approach of "if you want a job well done, do it yourself" is unfortunately out of the question).

Will be waiting for your opinions on this =)
Re: How to manage an idea?

You're right in regards to game ideas. They're a dime a dozen.

What have I done? Document, document, document. Mock-ups in paint.net. I even splurged to buy a decent copy of Game Maker so I could prototype MUCH faster.

The best attack I have done is making sure I flesh out ideas (or what parts of them I have) as best as I can. I then use whatever tool is available to quickly prototype something. I've learned that as long as you can prototype something fairly quickly, it doesn't grow stale in your mind. I also tend to use PHP for this as well (as it is also fairly quick when it comes to prototyping).

I also tend to focus on the parts that seem 'fun' and easy but still show off some of the stuff I want to do.

Time is your worst weapon here, as the more you feel you need to dwell over the specifics or details, you may grow bored of it. I'm pretty sure that's why Josh already had the 3d space-flying portion of LT quick. I'm also pretty sure that is why he's showing off the procedural generation of the stuff first rather than the nitty-gritty interfaces (don't get me wrong, interfaces are cool, but when it comes to what doesn't stale out, it's easier to start with the main interaction of a beautiful starfield and asteroids).
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Steel Neuron wrote:That said, I think I have a pretty good idea for a game. I got to this point in such a convoluted way because I wanted to make clear I know how little this is worth. I am the kind of person that has dozens of ideas and leaves them behind, which is not helping my self-esteem (however in this moment of my life I'm devoting my entire time to my degree so I don't have much left for creation). I could see this one slipping by, but I want it to be different this time. I'd love if something came out of this, because for once I think it's worthwhile.
I know that VERY well!
I could get to the point where people actually love my idea. But then to really start and push through is really hard.
I thougth, when people love your idea they get to do it. (I don't even need a part of the cake if that is a problem.)
But really to champion an idea is real work!
Sometimes I think that ideas are nearly worthless. But if all I can come up with is ideas then I have a big problem. :(
Oftentimes I just think this is all 'high level bullshit' and I need to just start :!: and keep at it!! (This one is said by all people when asked about their success: JUST START!)

So. Let's go through all options:
1. You have an idea
2. Check if you have the energy and motivation to start it and push it through. If yes, do so. End.
3. Check if you have the energy and motivation to tell it to someone or put it on the net. If yes, do so. End.
4. Forget this idea and dump it and never think about it again if it isn't motivating you to do 2. or 3.

While feeding the cat I had an idea. :)

I think all of the problems we have when not following an idea which would be worth it, are boiling down to one question:
Are you able to be less happy NOW and pay the price to be more happy LATER?
Our global society is perfected to GET THINGS NOW (TM) - within this attitude we are hindered to pay the price for hard work now, when we want to be rewarded instantly for every little thing we do.

So. The answer to your question is:
Create an incentive-system to push yourself through the dip and start doing things.

(Also possible: Are you loving yourself enough so that you think you are WORTH it to do things so that you can be happy?)

Thank you guys for the amazing responses!

I wrote a PDF with the fundamentals of my idea, and I would love if you checked it out and told me what you think. It's a bit long (6 pages) so don't feel forced, just if you have some free time.

Your opinion will help a lot in shaping the idea. If I get positive feedback, I might start working seriously on it soon, since I have a handful of friends with experience on programming and graphical design that always wanted to team up to make a game.

Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8brS1P ... sp=sharing

Well, I have done this a couple of times.

Right now I am on my third start up. All of them have been started on my spare time. Two of them has been together with other people and one is a one man show. One thing is that you must keep the pessimism away. Being optimistic and have fun with the project/idea is the key! Without the optimism and fun the project will probably die. One thing that strikes me is that how much easier it is to be optimistic over an idea if you are more people involved. When you feel down or just thinks the whole project is crap, there is always another person there to give you another view on the problem(s) and you are back on being optimistic again. However, when you do something alone you need some mind tricks to stay focused and optimistic, especially if you do it on your spare time. I think Josh mind trick or what you want to call it is a good one. This is copied from the limit theory page:
Limit Theory ideal - that one can be, and should be, free of all limitation.
I like it. It gave me a kick ...

Steel Neuron wrote:(...)I wrote a PDF with the fundamentals of my idea, and I would love if you checked it out and told me what you think. It's a bit long (6 pages) so don't feel forced, just if you have some free time.(...)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8brS1P ... sp=sharing
Wow!
Of course there is much stuff on the internet and 'look at my idea here' but this one I really like! Good work!!
Everybody: take a look at the document! If tl;dr: read at least the 'background' section on the first page!
(...)levels are created by interpolating between a series of randomly chosen
vaults, so that there is a balance between truly procedural content and randomly selected, human
designed content.(...)
NICE!
(...)the business of Runner design and manufacturing is very competitive and lucrative. Hundreds of
corporations compete
in creating the perfect Runner. Everything from research equipment, weaponry,
software and material technology is constantly iterated upon to achieve such perfection, and Complex
#Z37 is the testing ground.(...)
I don't know if there would be a fast squeeze-out and only some of the companies (the big players) will remain.
Companies are then also like guilds, right? If you limit the size then this could work.
('Hey guys, join my company on Complex - I've created some awesome weapons, we need to test them and hand them out to the crowd for profitssss!')

I like how you draw the big picture but the game actually is in a very limited world! This is motivating but is also keeping the amount of work needed to a minimum.

Pros:
- you can instanciate each level - very good!
- your game modes - I like it!
- creating assets by users with a nice point system - very nice.
- you can start very small and with bad graphics to demonstrate the game properly (think about 'game maker' or such)
- leightweight, fast to play and to go into but great variability

Maybe Cons:
- limiting the reporting on offensive content - be sure to keep a no-limit reporting for abusive content!
- setting could be too depressing :)
- no 'global threat' which could take away some motivation for gamers who likes to 'save tha wurld!!'
- asset creating and storing could be tedious (lead to broken servers) - be sure to implement some automatical-tidy-up routine on unused assets maybe. (Or store them as seeds too :D )

Finally:
- you SHOULD start on this project with your friends as soon as possible
- you should consider kickstarter. Be sure to gather a crowd of fans BEFORE starting a KS campain and be sure to have something GOOD to show (main selling-point: gameplay. Like: Get 20 seconds in the start of the video time-lapse the creation of a weapon and then how some guy finds it and kicks some serious butt while the creator gets the moniez!)
- to get a fast prototype disregard beutiful graphics, focus on gameplay and maybe use a programming language where you can just drop the current 3D-engine if it's not good enough and plug in another 3D-engine to not lose any previous work
- read Josh's dev logs. ;)

That's it from me.
I would most definitely back it.

Online Now