Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: 10000 Asteroids Testlevel (WebGL)

Here a new version with some postprocessing, and additional RCS movement (using A,D,R,Q) for horizontal and vertical maneuvering.
To keep it more realistic (still high) with 2000 asteroids
The collision hull of the asteroids is now more precise.

There are also some more easter eggs to find ;)

spaceclutter RCS demo

here the same demo using an additional js-function to set the document fodus, in case the keys do not react:
spaceclutter RCS demo (start with js focus support)
Last edited by Damocles on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Your RCS thrusters feel a bit weak; I can't really tell they're doing much, even right next to an asteroid. They might be helpful for landing, but not much else. Also, I find myself wishing I had some kind of faster travel method, like Freelancer's cruise engines.

And I think I found your Easter egg (one of them?). :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

There are a couple more ;)

The RCS is mostly ment to maneuver around smaller local objects (like docking etc), not really to avoid larger obstacles dynamically. For that the player needs to use the normal steering.
The RCS speed is up to 20 m/s though, (the forward speed is 150 m/s max) unless there is a bug in your game session.

Ok, its just a tech demo currently, here the spoilers for the impatient lot:
Spoiler:      SHOW
there is a ship parked at the "dark side" of the huge, largest asteroid, the beacon should be visible when surrounding it.

another two ships are quite in the center of the asteroid field, at the "bottom" of it, one of them is visible by the beacon, and another is not far from it.

two more ships are when going towards the planet from the starting position, at the edge of the main field.

And then there is a lonely dead cosmonaut, but i forgot where that was....
At least it kept you busy for 20 minutes :mrgreen:
Im working on the more exciting game mechanics currently.
But I dont want to squeeze them into a demo assembly, as this is likely to mess up the project code even more.
90% of the time, its slugging though boring codeline. The demo was a fun distraction.
Last edited by Damocles on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, no, I understand it's a demo. :D I was just wondering whether you were planning on keeping it space-trucker style, or intending to add a cruise mode or something later on, that's all. :) Also, I'm excited to see what you do with it, hence the interest in your plans for the future.
I think I found (most) of everything - I seem to have missed one set of ships. I only found three, not five. Your "lonely dead cosmonaut" is right up next to the asteroid with the asteroid ship. He's difficult to see. I thought he was a broken RCS unit at first.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Yes, there will be a faster movement mode. One that allows higher relative speeds, at the cost of limiting free movement.
The locations will have up to a 100x100 km area, but the core objectives will be within a few kilometers.
(There are hundreds of locations in the system map)

It will be more fun, when there are concrete objectives.

But I also think there should always be some rewards for people who just like cruising around.
The astronauts are to scale.
the ship modules of the player-ship have a 5 meter diameter. Quite reasonably when compared to current tech.
You will also notice that all ships are build from components, similar to current space station modules. The plating it ment as protection from micro-asteroids and just generally to make the shape look better.

The player will be able to customize the ships then, by replacing modules for the ships intended purpose, and - when lucky - get a really nice paint coating.
The standard coating is a practical but quite ugly white protection foam.
Last edited by Damocles on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Damocles wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:01 am
Here a new version with some postprocessing, and additional RCS movement (using A,D,R,Q) for horizontal and vertical maneuvering.
To keep it more realistic (still high) with 2000 asteroids
The collision hull of the asteroids is now more precise.

There are also some more easter eggs to find ;)

spaceclutter RCS demo
The keyboard controls dont work for me.
I don't use a mouse, as I've a touchscreen laptop.. so if I place one finger on the screen, I have to rotate it somewhat before I see the ship from above..
Then using another hand, I click elsewhere on the screen to have the ship rotate in a different direction..
I have no idea how the controls work at this time
But, it looks very good.. works well on Linux Mint :)

EDIT: ahh, now I get it, if I place two fingers on the screen, I can now control the craft :)

EDIT2: Okie, I get it now, will get this running ona 50" plasma and my 6-core rig tomorrow.. will leave it running for a few hours and see what happens :D (can i reach the sun??)
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now