its
Speculative Execution
and
Branch Prediction

:P
Ah yeah, working off of memory here for the most part. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);
Re: Design flaw in intel processors...

Silverware wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:36 pm
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:48 am
"Speculative prediction" *cringes*
its
Speculative Execution
and
Branch Prediction

:P
Ah yeah, working off of memory here for the most part. :V
Good grief, Silver! Can't you at least get your facts straight before you go on a tirade of indignation? Do you really expect to get away with guesswork at a time when Cornflakes isn't being distracted by the love of his life? :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:26 pm
Good grief, Silver! Can't you at least get your facts straight before you go on a tirade of indignation? Do you really expect to get away with guesswork at a time when Cornflakes isn't being distracted by the love of his life? :angel:
NEIGH!
Guesswork is 99% of Systems Administration. Because the customer never gives a clear set of requirements, the project never give clear deadlines, the management never give clear roles and responsibilities, the coworkers never give clear communication, and the servers themselves are almost always legacy, meaning even they are unclear and poorly understood at the best of time.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:56 pm
NEIGH!
Guesswork is 99% of Systems Administration. Because the customer never gives a clear set of requirements, the project never give clear deadlines, the management never give clear roles and responsibilities, the coworkers never give clear communication, and the servers themselves are almost always legacy, meaning even they are unclear and poorly understood at the best of time.
sudu chmop -k -t ~/etc/castormerdarta

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:33 pm
Silverware wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:32 pm
Customer Data on /etc/ ? *shudder*
was too lazy to think of a proper path
No, I've actually seen customer data on /etc/ before...
I've seen them use /tmp/ as a long term storage location.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm
Silverware wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:35 pm
No, I've actually seen customer data on /etc/ before...
I've seen them use /tmp/ as a long term storage location.
~/home/internwholeftthreeyearsago/customerdata
Actually, I have seen that. It was Database logs, /home/ was on the root partition, not it's own.
The root partition was minimal, 4GB, the DB logs quickly filled it up and the server died. :V
Then a few months later the server died, and we couldn't figure out why. Turns out the DB logs had hit again, this time using all the iNodes.

99% of Systems Administration is guesswork, the other 99% is not murdering people.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Silverware wrote:
NEIGH!
I don't think I would find much joy in being a Systems Administrator, Silver. My "projects" require a precise and clear set of requirements. :)
Silverware wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:48 pm
99% of Systems Administration is guesswork, the other 99% is not murdering people.
No one loses their life unnecessarily when I'm involved. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 pm
Silverware wrote:
NEIGH!
I don't think I would find much joy in being a Systems Administrator, Silver. My "projects" require a precise and clear set of requirements. :)
Yeah, I really wish we actually got given requirements at the start of a project, instead of after it's done.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 pm
Silverware wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:48 pm
No one loses their life unnecessarily when I'm involved. :angel:
It's not "unnecessary" if they are stupid. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now