Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: SPAAACE

Yay for space images thread! \o/

There are other images (from far better sources) that I like but I'll start out with three that I captured myself.

Jupiter and three of its four Galilean moons:
Spoiler:      SHOW

The Great Nebula in Orion:

M31, the Andromeda Galaxy:

None of these are particularly high quality. M31 in particular is barely recognizable. But I like them because they were taken with a simple DSLR camera from a somewhat light-polluted suburban front yard.

Next?

Dinosawer wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:06 am
Flatfingers wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 pm
But I like them because they were taken with a simple DSLR camera from a somewhat light-polluted suburban front yard.
Wait, without a telescope? How did you get that quality? :shock:

1. A good 250mm zoom lens.
2. A Polarie polar tracking mount (which never quite worked, but did occasionally allow tracking shots of more than a few seconds).
3. Some post-processing techniques. The Jupiter shot was stacked, and the Orion Nebula and M31 images used contrast stretching to deepen the blacks without losing too many details.

I've got some other camera shots -- the Double Cluster in Perseus, and the Ring Nebula (M57) in Lyra -- but the quality there is not quite good enough.

One day (night, that is)....

Is that picture of a star going supernova? That explosion is huge! It must be light years across.

Here's one of my favorite globular clusters (Lots of stars in one spot)

m13

Some people claim that there's no life in the universe besides what's here on earth. Globular clusters like these suggest otherwise. I love space!

BFett wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:58 am
Some people claim that there's no life in the universe besides what's here on earth. Globular clusters like these suggest otherwise.
Never having seen other stars, the inhabitants of Lagash had come to believe that their six-star system contained the entirety of the universe.
Oolite Naval Attaché

BFett wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:58 am
Is that picture of a star going supernova? That explosion is huge! It must be light years across.
As I understand it's not going supernova but in the stage of "violently throwing stuff around" that comes before going supernova. So, will prolly go supernova in the future. And, it apparently is about 3 ly across.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now