Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The "Game" in LT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)
The Game is a mental game where the objective is to avoid thinking about The Game itself. Thinking about The Game constitutes a loss, which must be announced each time it occurs. It is impossible to win most versions of The Game. Depending on the variation of The Game, the whole world, or all those aware of the game, are playing it all the time. Tactics have been developed to increase the number of people aware of The Game and thereby increase the number of losses.
There are three commonly reported rules to The Game:
Everyone in the world is playing The Game. (Sometimes narrowed to: "Everybody in the world who knows about The Game is playing The Game", or alternatively, "You are always playing The Game.") A person cannot choose to not play The Game; it does not require consent to play and one can never stop playing.
Whenever one thinks about The Game, one loses.
Losses must be announced. This can be verbally, with a phrase such as "I just lost The Game", or in any other way: for example, via Facebook. Some people may have signals or expressions that remind others of The Game.
What constitutes thinking about The Game is not always clear. If one discusses The Game without explicitly realizing that they have lost, this may or may not constitute a loss. If someone says "What is The Game?" before understanding the rules, whether they have lost is up for interpretation. According to some interpretations, one does not lose when someone else announces their loss, although the second rule implies that one loses regardless of what made them think about The Game. After a player has announced a loss, or after one thinks of The Game, some variants allow for a grace period between three seconds to thirty minutes to forget about the game, during which the player cannot lose the game again.
The common rules do not define a point at which The Game ends. However, some players state that The Game ends when the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom announces on television that "The Game is up." Some have said that it needs to be the Queen of England who needs to announce this.
Most variations of The Game do not allow for a person to win. One interpretation is that one is winning the game whenever they are not thinking about it. An xkcd comic reads: "You just won The Game" and tells players, "You're free!"Another is that one has won when they have completely forgotten about The Game. Another common interpretation is to have a temporary state of winning when in the presence of someone losing the game, the state of winningness ends when the 30min grace period expires.
Strategies
Strategies focus on making others lose The Game. Common methods include saying "The Game" out loud or writing about The Game on a hidden note, in graffiti in public places, or on banknotes.
Associations may be made with The Game, especially over time, so that one thing inadvertently causes one to lose. Some players enjoy thinking of elaborate pranks that will cause others to lose the game.
Other strategies involve merchandise: T-shirts, buttons, mugs, posters and bumper stickers have been created to advertise The Game.The Game is also spread via social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Re: You lost the game

I am not thinking about The Game; I am thinking about thinking about The Game.

This is an activity that is not counted as a loss by the rules of The Game. It is, in fact, not considered by the rules of The Game in any way. Thus, thinking about thinking about The Game is not an activity that can be considered a "lose" condition.

So, while it is perfectly true that I have not won The Game, it is also the case that I have not lost it, either.

:lol:
Re: You lost the game

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:45 pm
It's easy for something to be both stupid and fun. Just look at Goat Simulator.
I would like to point out that I hate Goat Simulator and view it as a blight upon the face of the gaming world. I can sort of understand why some people may find it hilarious, but it has 0 appeal for me.

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Online Now