Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Procedural Galaxy Generator

Damocles wrote:Here is a nice read / dynamic tutorial on WebGL.

https://webglfundamentals.org/webgl/les ... ntals.html

It might be a good playground to figure out a best way to draw a cloud for example (special shader), and then look for the corresponding implementation in three.js

(I find those monolitic engines mostly more confusing than helping)
Oh, I have a working shader, its just crap. As it's a glow shader. Which does work wonders for the stars.
I just need to do shaders, which is something I have never had a real need to learn. Mostly I have worked in 2D space, where I use blend modes.

I do have the option of making the dust a sprite, and adding PIXI back in to generate the dynamic textures. :V
Can render to one canvas, import into Three as a texture. :3

(mostly I just want to avoid using image files)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Im sure you can find some WebGL example shaders, that can render transparent Sprites, and then render the dust-clouds as a separate pass to the stars.

Im also used to simply use the Canvas2D functionality for rendering. A while ago I have made a custom 3D space scene with particles and dustclouds as sprites before (doing all matrix transformations
in JS and simply using "drawImage" then to render the scene), where the user can rotate around a viewpoint and see like an asteroid-field and some dust in it.
The performance was ok enough to make a nice scene, and the added bonus with using canvas2D is the high compatability with basically any device.

Silverware wrote:
Damocles wrote:Here is a nice read / dynamic tutorial on WebGL.

https://webglfundamentals.org/webgl/les ... ntals.html

It might be a good playground to figure out a best way to draw a cloud for example (special shader), and then look for the corresponding implementation in three.js

(I find those monolitic engines mostly more confusing than helping)
Oh, I have a working shader, its just crap. As it's a glow shader. Which does work wonders for the stars.
I just need to do shaders, which is something I have never had a real need to learn. Mostly I have worked in 2D space, where I use blend modes.

I do have the option of making the dust a sprite, and adding PIXI back in to generate the dynamic textures. :V
Can render to one canvas, import into Three as a texture. :3

(mostly I just want to avoid using image files)
Looking forward to what you come up with and how it will look. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Yeah, the issue with sprites in 3D is made rather clear in that image.
Z-ordering changes as you rotate, and this leads to parts of the clouds popping in front or behind others.
Something I want to avoid, but to do so would require proper volumetrics, either a fog, or lots and lots of VERY tiny dots...
using a plain texture also would help I think.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Victor Tombs wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Silver did a thing. :squirrel: http://i.imgur.com/L7XBf14.gifv
I like that Silver. :thumbup: Get Josh to put something similar at the beginning and end of the warp rails. :angel:

:shifty: Just reminding the coding warrior that warp rails should be epic. :mrgreen:

Huh... yeah that WOULD be a cool effect for rail entrance/exit...
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Silverware wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Silver did a thing. :squirrel: http://i.imgur.com/L7XBf14.gifv
I like that Silver. :thumbup: Get Josh to put something similar at the beginning and end of the warp rails. :angel:

:shifty: Just reminding the coding warrior that warp rails should be epic. :mrgreen:

Huh... yeah that WOULD be a cool effect for rail entrance/exit...
I think it would go well as the transition screen for wormholes. The affect is better than most loading screens.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:39 pm
BFett wrote:I think it would go well as the transition screen for wormholes. The affect is better than most loading screens.
Wormholes should be epic too, BFett. :angel:
Yes, they should be. There was this little unknown option in X3 where you could allow the wormhole (or warpgate) animation where you would see the tunnel and your ship starting to fly in it and accelerate. LOVED it. It did so much for the atmo instead of just a black screen and waiting for the next system to load.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now