Return to “Everything & Anything”

Post

Re: Friday, May 5, 2017

#16
JanB1 wrote:And what's about NCS? :?:
https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_ncs.asp
This the NCS you mean?


http://ncscolour.com/about-us/how-the-ncs-system-works/
"Not[e] again that these concepts describe the purely visual properties of the colour and not how the colour is mixed."


NCS is just a descriptor for color, like HSL or HSI or RGB, it'll describe a specific color, which you then take a ratio of CYM to produce on paper, or a ratio or RGB to produce on a screen.

Code: Select all

<+BMRX> Silver Invokes Lewdly Verbose Experiences Readily With Absurd Rectal Expeditions
Post

Re: Friday, May 5, 2017

#17
JanB1 wrote:Hmm...I think most of us learned the RYB system in school.
RYB is not a system - it's impossible to make all colours using just red, blue and yellow. (you can, for example, not mix cyan or magenta without using white too, whereas you can mix red by adding yellow and magenta
JanB1 wrote: And when you PAINT stuff, you use the the NCS system that uses white, black, green, yellow, red and blue. :D
Well, yes and no. First, NCS is not really a colour 'system' (which is why it has 6 colour and not 3), and is more for putting a number on colour perception, not mixing. (as Silver points out above). It's not made to replace CMY, it's made so people can more easily pick a colour for their wall paint, because CMY, while physically correct, is counter-intuitive.
You could, technically, mix every colour using those 6 colours when painting, if you really like mixing instead of painting, but realistically you're gonna have black, white, cyan, magenta, yellow, green, blue, orange and purple at the very least (generally some other tints as well depending on what you paint - landscape painters will have several greens etc) and you mix hues rather than colours.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: Friday, May 5, 2017

#18
Silverware wrote:
JanB1 wrote:And what's about NCS? :?:
https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_ncs.asp
This the NCS you mean?

http://ncscolour.com/about-us/how-the-ncs-system-works/
"Not[e] again that these concepts describe the purely visual properties of the colour and not how the colour is mixed."


NCS is just a descriptor for color, like HSL or HSI or RGB, it'll describe a specific color, which you then take a ratio of CYM to produce on paper, or a ratio or RGB to produce on a screen.
Yeah, okay. I saw that later too. It works with hue again, that is based on RGB. :oops:

Dinosawer wrote:
JanB1 wrote:Hmm...I think most of us learned the RYB system in school.
RYB is not a system - it's impossible to make all colours using just red, blue and yellow. (you can, for example, not mix cyan or magenta without using white too, whereas you can mix red by adding yellow and magenta
Yeah, I knooow. I just mean, that's what they teach you in school. And later you learn that, I quote:
Dinosawer wrote: (...) that this is, in fact, complete bollocks. :ghost:
:mrgreen:

Dinosawer wrote:
JanB1 wrote: And when you PAINT stuff, you use the the NCS system that uses white, black, green, yellow, red and blue. :D
Well, yes and no. First, NCS is not really a colour 'system' (which is why it has 6 colour and not 3), and is more for putting a number on colour perception, not mixing. (as Silver points out above). It's not made to replace CMY, it's made so people can more easily pick a colour for their wall paint, because CMY, while physically correct, is counter-intuitive.
You could, technically, mix every colour using those 6 colours when painting, if you really like mixing instead of painting, but realistically you're gonna have black, white, cyan, magenta, yellow, green, blue, orange and purple at the very least (generally some other tints as well depending on what you paint - landscape painters will have several greens etc) and you mix hues rather than colours.
Yeah, got that now. I'm sorry, a friend of mine who worked in light technique made me a little confused.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Post

Re: Friday, May 5, 2017

#20
Silverware wrote:
JanB1 wrote: :oops:
Heh don't worry.
We are being educational. :D

Mostly I know all this from doing HTML/CSS all the frakking time. :3
Don't even get me started. CSS colors man. When you see a #FF7F00 and you know, that it's a nice orange. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Post

Re: Colors are weird, man

#27
JanB1 wrote:
Detritus wrote:
JanB1 wrote: Why do you like this particular colour so much? :D
Tis the color of young corn! :ghost:
Dafuq man? That's your reason to like this colour? :D
Well, this one is the color of blood... :think:
Resident derp.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron