Return to “Everything & Anything”

Malware Issue I Am Having

Hi, I thought this would be better than posted on IRC and having to try and skim through everyone's answers.

Okay, so about a week ago, I clicked something I shouldn't have. F*ck. Well, Windows Defender was all like "Don't worry, I got this! TAKE THIS VIRUS SCUM!" and everything seemed fine...but it wasn't. While any major stuff might have been killed, I still had an annoying problem.

I use Google Chrome. My homepage is Google, my default search engine is Google, and I never use anything else. If I try to type something into the search box, ANOTHER search box appears and my text goes into it, and unless I am paying attention, I will be not using google unless I "X" out of it. I get redirected to other search engines and it pisses me off.

http://imgur.com/a/ECHjS This link will show different screen shots I have taken. The last picture I started just going through websites I might actually be interested in and took a picture of the blocked program so people can see something that can be identified.

NOW, I have tried using Kaspersky TDSSKiller Anti-Root utility, but then I read that it 'finds' things that aren't even on your computer just to encourage you to pay money. It also didn't seem to fix anything.

I then installed Malwarebytes after seeing that it should fix my problem for free...but it has been a huge headache. I start the scan, it runs for like 45-60 minutes, says "YOU HAVE THESE 13000 THINGS THAT ARE GOING TO MURDER YOU IN YOUR SLEEP! QUARANTINE THEM? Y/N?

So I quarantine them. It takes hours. And I am not talking like 1-2 hours. I am talking like 5-7 hours. Then, FINALLY I get the option to delete the files that are causing headaches, but either the delete button doesn't work(Which I have read can be the case), or my computer is being an ass. So I go to manually delete the files but my computer says "HEY THERE! YOU NEED TO BE AN ADMINISTRATOR! GTFO NUB" So I try running as administrator and promptly get the errors in the last 2 pictures.

Now, the administrator issue is one that I brought from my last computer when I transferred data over...probably unrelated but still a pain in the ass.

TL;DR (for administrator issues)

I had an administrator account on my old PC, it got a virus, so I made a new account and then transferred that new one to my new computer. Since then, it has let me do 99% of the things I want, but still thinks I am not the administrator.

Halp

Charley
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus
Re: Malware Issue I Am Having

Copy the data you want to save, and rebuild. It's the simplest and most effective option. Do a full format and zero out of the HDD when you reinstall. (Don't do this if it's a ssd, its safer to do so, but an ssd wont last as long if you do do it)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:Copy the data you want to save, and rebuild. It's the simplest and most effective option. Do a full format and zero out of the HDD when you reinstall. (Don't do this if it's a ssd, its safer to do so, but an ssd wont last as long if you do do it)
a single zeroing run wouldnt do that much to the lifetime.

i wouldnt do a full scrambling run on an SSD, which is quite pointless in this situation.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote:Copy the data you want to save, and rebuild. It's the simplest and most effective option. Do a full format and zero out of the HDD when you reinstall. (Don't do this if it's a ssd, its safer to do so, but an ssd wont last as long if you do do it)
a single zeroing run wouldnt do that much to the lifetime.

i wouldnt do a full scrambling run on an SSD, which is quite pointless in this situation.
Yeah, a simple zeroing of the entire disk is enough to clear all data.

If you don't want to rebuild, then going the bootable scan tool is the best idea.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Okay, let's say I want to try the Antivirus boot stick, what is one that you trust? or can I make my own that would work? :p

And I have thought of just scrapping everything and restarting. The only stuff I would be worried about losing is saved on my Google Drive and I do have an external hard drive that I can unplug and keep intact. What is infected is my SSD.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

cuisinart8 wrote:Have you tried Malwarebytes? It can sometimes find malware that my other AV programs overlook.
He has already tried and it did not work for some reason.

If this is just a browser search issue why not try other browsers and uninstall the broken browser so long as it is not Edge or internet explorer.

Edit: auto correct.

Online Now