Return to “Everything & Anything”

Post

Re: Tanks

#46
And in Halo, it's for better ground adaption. You don't have such a long tipping point when you go over a hill. You can just drive up and stand on top of the hill without any tipping, and your topside isn't shown as much.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Post

Re: Tanks

#47
Dinosawer wrote:There's actually a reason for it in Starcraft - when the tank is in siege mode, the threads gets rotated into a cross form to give a more stable base for the siege cannon.
That's a silly reason; the recoil needed to actually move tracked vehicle would be enough to tear it apart :ghost:
JanB1 wrote:And in Halo, it's for better ground adaption. You don't have such a long tipping point when you go over a hill. You can just drive up and stand on top of the hill without any tipping, and your topside isn't shown as much.
Something easily done by active suspension, like on Stridsvagn 103:
Image The whole idea behind making military vehicles is to avoid needless complexity. Otherwise they'll spend more time being repaired than engaging the enemy. And yes, there are precedents of that :lol:
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.
Post

Re: Tanks

#49
outlander4 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:There's actually a reason for it in Starcraft - when the tank is in siege mode, the threads gets rotated into a cross form to give a more stable base for the siege cannon.
That's a silly reason; the recoil needed to actually move tracked vehicle would be enough to tear it apart :ghost:
Yeah, but
A) StarCraft isn't hard scifi at all
B) It looks cool
C) The reason is a game mechanic and not a silly visual designer :ghost:
Last edited by Dinosawer on Tue May 02, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: Tanks

#52
Dinosawer wrote:
outlander4 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:There's actually a reason for it in Starcraft - when the tank is in siege mode, the threads gets rotated into a cross form to give a more stable base for the siege cannon.
That's a silly reason; the recoil needed to actually move tracked vehicle would be enough to tear it apart :ghost:
Yeah, but
A) StarCraft isn't hard scifi at all
B) It looks cool
C) The reason is a game mechanic and not a silly visual designer :ghost:
Yeah, but well, I'd still love to see people do some effort towards making believable war machines :ghost:
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron