Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Tanks

JanB1 wrote:Hey! I heard that! :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, it's my standard one-liner for online debates when people say that 'Russian tanks are junk'. It triggers them and gives me tons of lulz.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

JanB1 wrote:Image Put a revolver cannon on a wheeled APC, give it some really high tech targeting systems and you have a nice anti-air and anti-vehicle gun. :D
Anti-air? Well, it surely can pop hot air balloons :P Anti-vehicle? Well, it can surely obliterate a civilian car.

Verdict: in a Serious War, it'd die really fast. Otherwise, cool.

outlander4 wrote: Anti-air? Well, it surely can pop hot air balloons :P Anti-vehicle? Well, it can surely obliterate a civilian car.

Verdict: in a Serious War, it'd die really fast. Otherwise, cool.
You never saw a Rheinmetall Skyranger before, huh? And clearly never saw Skyranger in action...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
outlander4 wrote: ITS NOT RUSSIAN ITS CRAP
FTFY
The Russian version of it is also crap :ghost:

You never saw a Rheinmetall Skyranger before, huh? And clearly never saw Skyranger in action...
I don't think anyone saw it in action apart from on a firing range. When it comes to mobile short-range anti-air defences, I believe that they should be able - first and foremost - to keep up with the other units, and be able to function when the command&control net will start disintegrating under enemy ECM and the general confusion of the battle.

Hence, a tracked chassis, a built-in radar, and a mixed gun+missiles armament. Basically, something like this:
Image but with modern fire control systems and better armour in case it gets too close to where actual fighting happens.

Of course, I have a Russian perspective, which basically means two things:

1. There are no such things as roads.
2. If there are roads, we won't use them anyway because that's where the enemy can set up defences quickly.

In Europe and the US with their well-developed road networks it's not a problem so people get away with those wheeled abominations
:ghost:

Speaking of abominations,
Image :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

outlander4 wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
outlander4 wrote: ITS NOT RUSSIAN ITS CRAP
FTFY
The Russian version of it is also crap :ghost:

I don't think anyone saw it in action apart from on a firing range. When it comes to mobile short-range anti-air defences, I believe that they should be able - first and foremost - to keep up with the other units, and be able to function when the command&control net will start disintegrating under enemy ECM and the general confusion of the battle.

Hence, a tracked chassis, a built-in radar, and a mixed gun+missiles armament. Basically, something like this:
Image but with modern fire control systems and better armour in case it gets too close to where actual fighting happens.

Of course, I have a Russian perspective, which basically means two things:

1. There are no such things as roads.
2. If there are roads, we won't use them anyway because that's where the enemy can set up defences quickly.

In Europe and the US with their well-developed road networks it's not a problem so people get away with those wheeled abominations
:ghost:

Speaking of abominations,
Image :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
Fair point. The all-in-one solution is really a plus on that note. Forgot about the ECMs. :P

And to that "abomination"-picture: looks like a drone to me...unmanned vehicle...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:And to that "abomination"-picture: looks like a drone to me...unmanned vehicle...
The vehicle is Freccia with an Oto Melara OWS 30 unmanned turret. They went for low profile turret that would be hard to hit...that is, if it were not mounted on top of an IFV two and a half metres high :ghost:

So the turret is very old-school, with ammo supply on the outside, and all the mechanisms open to the rain, dust, sand, fragments, birdshit and other elements :monkey:

Italians...they always make weird stuff. It's technically sound and I want to like it, but it's at least a decade out-of-date, always :D

outlander4 wrote:
JanB1 wrote:And to that "abomination"-picture: looks like a drone to me...unmanned vehicle...
The vehicle is Freccia with an Oto Melara OWS 30 unmanned turret. They went for low profile turret that would be hard to hit...that is, if it were not mounted on top of an IFV two and a half metres high :ghost:

So the turret is very old-school, with ammo supply on the outside, and all the mechanisms open to the rain, dust, sand, fragments, birdshit and other elements :monkey:

Italians...they always make weird stuff. It's technically sound and I want to like it, but it's at least a decade out-of-date, always :D

Because yeah, why not. Put the really important stuff that is really sensitive to dust and sand and dirt and damage on the OUTSIDE where the probability of failure is MUCH higher. :P

Italians man. XD
Nothing to see here

Online Now