Return to “Everything & Anything”

Pathfinding rambles

Just a random idea i had concerning pathfinding:

Assume a navmesh.

What if every entity would add a counter including which mesh node it would use next at vertices its using for its final path.

Other entities could then reduce the desirability of nodes on which other entities want to move in other directions than itself.

Say A wants to move "down" and it encounters a node which has a marker for "upwards" it searches for a different path until it finds one with no or less opposing counters.

Would make entities path around each other with some degree of smartness.
Re: Pathfinding rambles

Would a standard set of "right of way" rules help to give the AI a bit of order while in spacelanes, or approaching busy areas, much like rules for car movement on roadways?
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Starboard is the right-hand side of the ship.
... thogh it my get confusing when one ship
is upside down compared to the other...
so maybe use the local galactic disk to determine
what side is up and down (galactic north and south).
Last edited by N810 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

If two ships are flying towards eachother, one is upside down, and they both go right to evade each other, they still crash because 'right' is twice the same direction despite them flying in opposite direction. Is what I was getting at. :ghost:

Edit: if they don't work in 3D space, what's the point of a navmesh in a space game?
Last edited by Dinosawer on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:If two ships are flying towards eachother, one is upside down, and they both go right to evade each other, they still crash because 'right' is twice the same direction despite them flying in opposite direction. Is what I was getting at. :ghost:
Yes, i know.

But in most of the cases aka not both exactly so alined that it doesnt work out, it would send them in different directions.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:If two ships are flying towards eachother, one is upside down, and they both go right to evade each other, they still crash because 'right' is twice the same direction despite them flying in opposite direction. Is what I was getting at. :ghost:
Yes, i know.

But in most of the cases aka not both exactly so alined that it doesnt work out, it would send them in different directions.
Yes, but so would 'fly away in a completely random direction'. So there is no actual value to a set rule unless you expect most of your entities to have the same 'up' orientation.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Hmm...if you give each grid space a number based on a counter, these numbers would have to decrement the further ahead they are on the path of that entity, right?

Because in navmeshes normally a low number indicates an easier path and a high number a hard path...right?
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now