Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Procedurally Generated Medieval Cities

Well, in the most basic form (which is what used here):
You draw a bunch of dots on a plane. Then, around each dot, you draw a polygon. You do this in such a way, that inside that polygon are all the points on that plane that are closer to the dot in it than to any other dot.
This divides your plane like this:
Image In this case the guy put his dots in a spiral-ish thing and used the resulting polygons as his city districts, basically.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:Well, in the most basic form (which is what used here):
You draw a bunch of dots on a plane. Then, around each dot, you draw a polygon. You do this in such a way, that inside that polygon are all the points on that plane that are closer to the dot in it than to any other dot.
This divides your plane like this:
Image In this case the guy put his dots in a spiral-ish thing and used the resulting polygons as his city districts, basically.
Great, my friend thanks you very much. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

In my thesis project it was used to compartmentalise space with a resolution proportional to particle density ( instead of a normal cubic grid) to get automatic higher resolution where stuff is closer together.

In our program we use an extended version which also takes lines aside from points, which gives nice skeleton forms of objects: Image With that you can do a variety of fun things such as calculating widths at points in the objects and shrinking or expanding arbitrary vector objects perpendicular to their outline. :)

And there are many other applications
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now