Return to “Everything & Anything”

Rick and Morty

Wow. Just wow.

If anyone is new to the planet, Rick and Morty is probably the best thing to hit TV (who actually watches TV any more?) since, well anything.

Season 2 ended last year and the population of earth has been waiting for season 3 since then. The creators gave no exact date and even created a "fake", "Rick Rolled" episode.

Well, without any notice or warning they release the first episode of season 3, on all days, April Fools.

Genius.

The episode it self, well, watch it for yourself. It was golden. It was released free so you can find it around the web with a search. (adult swim has it on it's site, but you need to be in the US or have a browser with a faked location)

One thing I will say, being released on April Fools I kept waiting for it to end with a "Ha ha! April Fools! Wait for the REAL episode". It still MIGHT be, it ends on a dark and strange note. Even for Rick and Morty.

Made my day.
Last edited by Zanteogo on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature
Re: Rick and Morty

I've watched it three times already. (twice by myself, third with my son)

It is heavy with a ton of small details one would miss.

(spoilers coming below)

One interesting thing is the fact that the Rick we now know is in fact the body of a different Rick with "our" Ricks memories copied over and replacing the other Ricks. On the surface this seems like something the science and self centred Rick we know would have an issue with. However, if you watch the episode it becomes clear this was not Rick's original plan. He intended to move his memories back to his original body. (he shows disappointment in seeing his original body killed, that still had his memories for "Improvisational comedy" inside.)

I also wonder if the Rick's bothered to unfreeze Morty's real family. It's sort of mind bending to think that they were the actual original main cast minus Rick and Morty. It's implied in the show that persons frozen with Rick's gun need to be unfrozen or suffer death. The council of Ricks seem to have a slightly (better) moral compass than our Rick, so they might have... (or else they would have just shot and killed them to start with)

The Rick at the end seemed very different from the Rick we know, OK, perhaps the word "very" is a stretch. The Rick we knew though was self centred, did when it came down to it, care about his family much more than he let on. This Rick manipulated his daughter to divorce her husband and went on an evil villain rant about all he really cared about was a discontinued MacDonalds sauce.

One thing I love about this show is that the creators pay attention to details. Nothing happens and is pushed away or dismissed.
Last edited by Zanteogo on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote: (he shows disappointment in seeing his original body killed, that still had his memories for "Improvisational comedy" inside.
This might be a reference, like the Time Travel Stuff box that sits on the shelf in the garage, where the creators are saying that time travel is shelved.
Where in this case they may have decided to plan more and kill the improv comedy skits.

I would be quite happy if this were the case, the story deserves a good hard think and better than off the cuff jokes.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Zanteogo wrote: (he shows disappointment in seeing his original body killed, that still had his memories for "Improvisational comedy" inside.
This might be a reference, like the Time Travel Stuff box that sits on the shelf in the garage, where the creators are saying that time travel is shelved.
Where in this case they may have decided to plan more and kill the improv comedy skits.

I would be quite happy if this were the case, the story deserves a good hard think and better than off the cuff jokes.
Perhaps, though the shows appeal for me was the balance between intelligent story, science stuff, witty humor and goofy humor.
Perhaps it was both. Clearly Rick didn't expect the Rick Swat Team attack. He also didn't plan to live the rest of his life as a bug creature, so I guess he had some plan to return his memories to a Rick body. Being his was the only one there...
My Signature

Zanteogo wrote:
Silverware wrote:

Perhaps, though the shows appeal for me was the balance between intelligent story, science stuff, witty humor and goofy humor.
Perhaps it was both. Clearly Rick didn't expect the Rick Swat Team attack. He also didn't plan to live the rest of his life as a bug creature, so I guess he had some plan to return his memories to a Rick body. Being his was the only one there...
*Seal Team Ricks
:P

I doubt they will neglect the goofy or witty humor. But I expect they might put more effort into it, and do less in spur of the moment antics.
So we might not see another intergalactic cable episode.

They do like turning this up to eleven, then again up to twelve. So I expect the coming episodes are going to be particularly good.
I expect Adult Swim have realized what they have and are throwing budget at this like nobodies business. :thumbup:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Zanteogo wrote:
JanB1 wrote: You have a son? :o
Three sons and a daughter. Two of them are older than Josh.
Zanteogo is Josh's father confirmed!
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Detritus wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:
JanB1 wrote: You have a son? :o
Three sons and a daughter. Two of them are older than Josh.
Zanteogo is Josh's father confirmed!
Thet's how "fake news" are created... :lol:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now