When programmers are bored...

Just what it sounds like.

When programmers are bored...

Postby JanB1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:39 pm

So, this topic is (as the Title says...why am I even explaining this? Anyway...) to show all your "I'm bored" work, becuas I know quite well that the best (or weirdest? Mostly weirdest...) stuff gets created when programmers are bored *coughgoogleworstinputformsquartzarticlefirstresultcough*, so yeah...this topic is completely dedicated to all the weird (or cool, who knows) stuff you come up with when you're bored.

To start, it's kind of a repost, but it's a good start. And I was bored again recently, so I'll deliver something again soon, just wait a little longer, alright?

JanB1 wrote:
And when I'm bored I do stuff like this: http://janb1.com/data/bored.mp4

See the imgur album for the explanation on what's going on and how it works. https://imgur.com/a/5I8R4
(further information: the used programming languages, data types, variable types, configuration types and POU types (the "function" and "function block" thingy mentioned in the imgur album) are defined by the international standard "IEC 61131-3", see here (Wikipedia article)
Basically, IEC-61131 defines everything I use and can use (on the software side and partly on the hardware side) when working with PLCs.

This is a real big topic, that I can't really explain in one single post. This is basically a small overview over what I do. If you want to know more, just ask. Maybe In a separate topic?

And well, the question for the separate topic for general PlC-Stuff is done with this too, because I'm sure we'll ask each other out how we came up with out boredom brain farts.

SPOILER:      PS.   (SHOW)
For the guys who didn't find the article I was coughing about: https://qz.com/679782/programmers-imagi ... ne-number/
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
JanB1
Commander

Re: When programmers are bored...

Postby Slymodi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:18 pm

When josh was bored he created LT :ghost:
DARKNESS CANNOT DRIVE OUT DARKNESS
Slymodi
Rear Admiral

Postby Silverware » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Slymodi wrote:When josh was bored he created LT :ghost:

When I was bored I created GB and the Periodic Table of Limit Theory Forumites. http://toba.no-ip.org/elements/built.php
ᕕ(ಠ‸ಠ)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Silverware
Vice Admiral

Postby Detritus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:02 pm

When I get bored, I make threads like the Images! thread.

Sometimes others, like The Chicken Thread, or conspiracy thread(s). I even create my own little communities sometimes. However, not all of these threads are my own. Things like the Random thread, or the Cute Animals thread are good places for me to relieve myself of boredom.
Egyptian God of Frustration at your service!
I have a (virtual) pet trout named Fred! He is a rather powerful fish.
Come play Renegade X with me!

Talvieno famously wrote:cannot match the power of the almighty Detritus
Detritus
Rear Admiral

Postby JanB1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:30 am

Slymodi wrote:When josh was bored he created LT :ghost:

Hah! And from boredom arise the most beautiful monument of mankind('s ability to program cool stuff)! ALL PRAISE THE GREAT JOSH!!!

Detritus wrote:When I get bored, I make threads like the Images! thread.

Sometimes others, like The Chicken Thread, or conspiracy thread(s). I even create my own little communities sometimes. However, not all of these threads are my own. Things like the Random thread, or the Cute Animals thread are good places for me to relieve myself of boredom.

Lookin good there. Lot's of boredom present, huh? Or let's call it "creativity".
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
JanB1
Commander

Postby Dinosawer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:07 am

When I got bored, I made a bot obsessed with pudding, that searches wikipedia, keeps and gives irc history, provides kaomoji's, creates procedural emoticons, reacts in funny ways to a series of triggers, searches the rekt wiki and determines which of the REKT players have not posted yet.

I also made a program for Tal to keep track of the equipment, loot, wounds, ships and damage of REKT players and NPC's and places.

And I started on a program to semi-parse the REKT turns for Tal, but that never got finished before REKT was abandoned (temporarily).
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Dinosawer
Admiral

Postby JanB1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:00 am

Dinosawer wrote:When I got bored, I made a bot obsessed with pudding, that searches wikipedia, keeps and gives irc history, provides kaomoji's, creates procedural emoticons, reacts in funny ways to a series of triggers, searches the rekt wiki and determines which of the REKT players have not posted yet.

I also made a program for Tal to keep track of the equipment, loot, wounds, ships and damage of REKT players and NPC's and places.

And I started on a program to semi-parse the REKT turns for Tal, but that never got finished before REKT was abandoned (temporarily).

That's some serious AI work there! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nothing to see here
JanB1
Commander

Postby Dinosawer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:15 am

Eh, wouldn't call that AI, but thanks :mrgreen: You've already met her in IRC :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Dinosawer
Admiral

Postby JanB1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:46 am

Dinosawer wrote:Eh, wouldn't call that AI, but thanks :mrgreen: You've already met her in IRC :ghost:

Well, it's some code that answers to you and does some seemingly intelligent stuff, so...it's basic AI, right? I mean, it is intelligent. Not smart, but intelligent.
Nothing to see here
JanB1
Commander

Postby Talvieno » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:45 am

Bored stuff for me: language generators, algorithms to predict which member of a Five Man Band you would be, forest fire simulators.
Last edited by Talvieno on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed URL
Talvieno
Community Manager

Postby JanB1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:14 am

Talvieno wrote:(...) algorithms to predict which member of a [url]Five Man Band[/url] you would be (...)

The other stuff is uninteresting. I ask you: WHAT?
Nothing to see here
JanB1
Commander

Postby Talvieno » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:18 am

Ah, I messed up and forgot to add the URL. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FiveManBand Sorry about that.
Talvieno
Community Manager

Postby Scytale » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:28 am

When I get bored I practice calligraphy :D but I'm not a programmer I only code
Scytale
Vice Admiral

Postby F4wk35 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:06 am

You know... :?

I can't shake my head hard enough to show how unable to compute your "Bored activities" my Non-Programmer-Brain is :crazy:
F4wk35
Captain

Postby IronDuke » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Bored stuff for me: forcing twenty-year-old games to work on Windows 10, modding Microsoft and Ubisoft games (way harder than you think :geek:), programming incredibly advanced damage models that I never finish for lack of personal talent, and finally, playing video games. :roll: Though that's more to waste time that should be spent on productive stuff because IronLazy. :ghost:

--IronDuke
Moving toward the future at 60 minutes per hour.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick
IronDuke
Rear Admiral

Location: The other end of the weapons barrage that's killing you. :3

Next

Return to Everything & Anything