Return to “Everything & Anything”

When programmers are bored...

So, this topic is (as the Title says...why am I even explaining this? Anyway...) to show all your "I'm bored" work, becuas I know quite well that the best (or weirdest? Mostly weirdest...) stuff gets created when programmers are bored *coughgoogleworstinputformsquartzarticlefirstresultcough*, so yeah...this topic is completely dedicated to all the weird (or cool, who knows) stuff you come up with when you're bored.

To start, it's kind of a repost, but it's a good start. And I was bored again recently, so I'll deliver something again soon, just wait a little longer, alright?
JanB1 wrote:
And when I'm bored I do stuff like this: http://janb1.com/data/bored.mp4

See the imgur album for the explanation on what's going on and how it works. https://imgur.com/a/5I8R4
(further information: the used programming languages, data types, variable types, configuration types and POU types (the "function" and "function block" thingy mentioned in the imgur album) are defined by the international standard "IEC 61131-3", see here (Wikipedia article)
Basically, IEC-61131 defines everything I use and can use (on the software side and partly on the hardware side) when working with PLCs.

This is a real big topic, that I can't really explain in one single post. This is basically a small overview over what I do. If you want to know more, just ask. Maybe In a separate topic?
And well, the question for the separate topic for general PlC-Stuff is done with this too, because I'm sure we'll ask each other out how we came up with out boredom brain farts.

Spoiler:      SHOW
For the guys who didn't find the article I was coughing about: https://qz.com/679782/programmers-imagi ... ne-number/
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Re: When programmers are bored...

When I get bored, I make threads like the Images! thread.

Sometimes others, like The Chicken Thread, or conspiracy thread(s). I even create my own little communities sometimes. However, not all of these threads are my own. Things like the Random thread, or the Cute Animals thread are good places for me to relieve myself of boredom.
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Slymodi wrote:When josh was bored he created LT :ghost:
Hah! And from boredom arise the most beautiful monument of mankind('s ability to program cool stuff)! ALL PRAISE THE GREAT JOSH!!!

Detritus wrote:When I get bored, I make threads like the Images! thread.

Sometimes others, like The Chicken Thread, or conspiracy thread(s). I even create my own little communities sometimes. However, not all of these threads are my own. Things like the Random thread, or the Cute Animals thread are good places for me to relieve myself of boredom.
Lookin good there. Lot's of boredom present, huh? Or let's call it "creativity".
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

When I got bored, I made a bot obsessed with pudding, that searches wikipedia, keeps and gives irc history, provides kaomoji's, creates procedural emoticons, reacts in funny ways to a series of triggers, searches the rekt wiki and determines which of the REKT players have not posted yet.

I also made a program for Tal to keep track of the equipment, loot, wounds, ships and damage of REKT players and NPC's and places.

And I started on a program to semi-parse the REKT turns for Tal, but that never got finished before REKT was abandoned (temporarily).
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:When I got bored, I made a bot obsessed with pudding, that searches wikipedia, keeps and gives irc history, provides kaomoji's, creates procedural emoticons, reacts in funny ways to a series of triggers, searches the rekt wiki and determines which of the REKT players have not posted yet.

I also made a program for Tal to keep track of the equipment, loot, wounds, ships and damage of REKT players and NPC's and places.

And I started on a program to semi-parse the REKT turns for Tal, but that never got finished before REKT was abandoned (temporarily).
That's some serious AI work there! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nothing to see here

Dinosawer wrote:Eh, wouldn't call that AI, but thanks :mrgreen: You've already met her in IRC :ghost:
Well, it's some code that answers to you and does some seemingly intelligent stuff, so...it's basic AI, right? I mean, it is intelligent. Not smart, but intelligent.
Nothing to see here

Bored stuff for me: forcing twenty-year-old games to work on Windows 10, modding Microsoft and Ubisoft games (way harder than you think :geek:), programming incredibly advanced damage models that I never finish for lack of personal talent, and finally, playing video games. :roll: Though that's more to waste time that should be spent on productive stuff because IronLazy. :ghost:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Online Now