Return to “Everything & Anything”

Proxmox VE Home Project

Hi All,

So I've setup Proxmox VE on an Intel 3930k, 32 Gbytes of RAM and 2x 500Gb Samsung 850 Pro Drives.
I'll add a Western Digital 3 Tb drive when I've cleaned it up.

So, the Install of Proxmox is really simple, give it a static IP, and don't forget the password you setup on install.
(I was resetting my router password and things got a bit panicky for a while.)

So why this thread? Cos I like to learn. And where better than to share my exploits and elations with, than you wonderful LT'ers.
Also, to keep track of the different distros I install, and the steps I took to create them. I find it easier to post here, than to write to a notepad doc and save it somewhere on my PC..
(I look to my left and see the main boot drive of Windows 10 and realise I've a lot of docs on there that would be useful)

So plans will include (list to be increased over time), but not in order:
- 2x node linux cluster with heartbeat
- Personal Cloud service
- Media Server (with the 2nd PC, Q6600 CPU with 4 Gbytes RAM and an array of 256 Gb SSDs
- Samba share
- IRC bot server
- Kali, Mint, CentOS, RHEL, Metasploit, Hydrogen (formerly Crunchbang), Ubuntu (with mate or cinnamon)
Enable hyperthreading on 3930k - Completed Feb 18th 2017
- Migrate live distros to different disks (part 1), to a different node (part 2)
Make VMs accessible to internet - Completed Feb 18th 2017
If anyone has any helpful tips or guidance it would be greatly appreciated :)

Chat soon
Last edited by FormalMoss on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-
Re: Proxmox VE Home Project

Ok, so I now have NAT up and running on proxmox with dhcp! :)

The way I've configured it now, I need no longer worry about internet access for new images, yay, this is awesome.

Time to make Bunsenlabs auto-start when Proxmox does, so I can vnc to it instead of browsing to the Proxmox Web page directly from my PC.
For me, as I'm still using an Windows 7 PC, this new addition of accessing Proxmox via Bunsenlabs (which is running on Proxmox) is an important step for me :)
I can now work on Bunsenlabs Hydrogen knowing the Proxmox is working fine - or not - and therefore troubleshoot through Linux vs using Windows 7.
:ghost: :wave:

Until I realise that my router doesn't know how to get to the Bunsenlabs distro.. so I need to configure port forwarding on the router.. or.. any suggestions?
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

So I have roughly 9 working VMs on Proxmox now.. Bunsenlabs' Hydrogen works best and is very secure out of the box. The 200 Mb overhead of RAM usage on the VM is encouraging, as I could use this as a jump-in point to configure the Proxmox VE directly with ssh. Problem is, I need to pull it out of the masqueraded IP I have setup, as I can only access it with VNC Server that goes out over the internet.. which is mad, considering the server is no more than 10 feet away from me :ghost:

I'll give a rundown of my initial experiences with these distro's shortly.. have to grab a shower, shave, and somehow teleport into town to get some lunch.. :think:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

JoshParnell wrote:Glorious setup. <3
Thanks Josh.
In the meantime, I've setup a Windows 7 workstation on proxmox, and have it working with ms office 2010, cmud, eset antivirus, vnc server, and what's best is I can connect into it from the internet :))

Losing MS Word to Libreoffice? No thank you, I already had an incident where I sent a CV to a client but not even MS's Office 365 showed me that changes were pending. MPS (Major Panic Stations)!
:o

I'm looking forward to the next part where I do a live migration from one inode to the other (the 2nd one will have an nvidia card on it), then we'll see if I can get vfio working with VNC :twisted:

o/
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now