Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The Periodic Table of Where You Come From

Talvieno wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:That's super cool. Thinking about where you came from in that sense is always a nice way to get some perspective on life, the universe, the magnitude of it all :crazy:
Hey, Josh, I have an idea for a feature you could add to LT! :ghost:
If it's space chemistry, that's already on my list of expansion pack ideas :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Talvieno wrote::shock:

:shock:

I was being silly, but if you plan to add that in some late expansion (or at least some approximation), it would be awesome. :squirrel:

(Although, I think you might've been being silly too. :P )
Oh Space Chem is totally a great idea, I had it for Borealis remember?
We even had some working stuff for that thanks to Black--Snow. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I thought you folks might enjoy this graphic! Glad to hear you did.

On "chemicalizing" raw materials in Limit Theory... I suspect that, if Josh doesn't do it himself, and if the LT that ships supports modding, there will be some kind of expansion of chemistry modded in between the mining and production steps. ;)

I suggested one way that might work in Refining Gameplay Ideas Mined. In particular, I like the idea that asteroids contain lots of different minerals in differing proportions, and that these minerals are formed from elemental chemicals. Mining would obtain the mineral ores; these would be transported to refineries where the ores are broken down through various processes (of varying efficiency, the maximizing of which becomes a sub-game) to yield elements; finally, these elements would be packaged up, transported, and sold in bulk to product creators.

So, you'd shoot a mining probe out to a likely asteroid, and you'd get back an assay report looking something like:

32% - Pyroxene - Ferrosilite: FeSiO3
16% - Pyroxene - Diopside: CaMgSi2O6
14% - Olivine - Spessartine: Mn3Al2(SiO4)3
11% - Olivine - Forsterite: Mg2SiO4
7% - Dolomite: CaMg(CO3)2
7% - Siderite: Fe+2CO3
4% - Ice: H2O
3% - Brucite: Mg(OH)2
3% - Ilmenite: FeTiO3
2% - Geikielite: MgTiO3
1% - Thorite: ThSiO4

You'd then decide whether that's tasty enough to be worth mining, or if you might have better luck (i.e., discover an asteroid with a higher concentration of more valuable elements) elsewhere.

Given the direct connection between mining, refining, and production (and possibly research), and the impact of these systems on the overall economic game, there've been several other threads looking at how raw materials might support those gameplay systems:
Ideas? We haz dem. :D

Online Now