Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Taiya's IRC-based RPG

Dear Diary.

It's Day 5 of my magical coding adventure. Today I saw the most wonderful things. I accidentally broke code and it left Taiya in a loop that caused her typically slim figure of 20MB quickly expand to 1.5 GB like that blueberry girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I had her call me a special snowflake for putting in a gender other than "male" or "female" and added a lot of neat little easter eggs.

But you don't want to hear anything about that, Diary. You want to hear all my dirty little secrets, like what Taiya can do now. Unfortunately, I don't really have many. Today was less about adding cool features, and more about building the framework to get cool features to work. (Also I had a brief job to complete that took most of my morning - and, naturally, I jobhunted a lot too.) You can now start games, and add character stats. In addition to that, I also decided it would be neat if you could select pre-defined character classes - like, having your character designed for you after you choose their career. To that end, I gave Taiya the ability to do that. All you have to do is say the name of the class after the gender, like so:

<Talvieno> IRCRPG Superdude,male,outlaw

and Taiya will generate your stats for you - just in case you want to play but don't want to carefully select your stats. I'm still writing up messages for when other people try to join, though. Taiya also has her own channel now - #LTRPG. I didn't want her to spam up the main chat channel. She'll log into there on her own, but there may be a few kinks to work out - for instance, if she gets disconnected, she might not rejoin on her own. I'll need to fix that. I am still pretty early in to this rather monumental task I've set myself.

Finally, I added a bit more to the Taiya RPG guide thing. There's still a lot of work left there, but I'm making steady progress. I'm kind of torn on it, though - I'm not sure if I should spoil (most) of the secrets there, or leave most of the secrets out for people to find. (Secrets being "exactly what each option you could take would do" and the like.) I have time to figure that out, though, and I'm always open to suggestions.

I think that's all for now, Diary. I'll write in you again tomorrow! :D And maybe you won't be a diary then. maybe I'll be slightly less loopy at that point and you'll just be a traditional dev log. Wouldn't that be boring?
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

JoshParnell wrote:Oh man. We need a second hype train for this. I'm excited :D

Talv for president \o/

:squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel:
... you could implement Taiya into LT as your ship's autopilot and assistant. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

JoshParnell wrote:Oh man. We need a second hype train for this. I'm excited :D

Talv for president \o/
Thanks Josh. :D
Silverware wrote: ... you could implement Taiya into LT as your ship's autopilot and assistant. :D
Oh, that's a wonderful idea! I can see it now...

<Player> Oh, shit, six missiles incoming!
<Player> Taiya, release chaff!
<Taiya> Sorry, I don't like you enough yet, Player! :)
<Player> ...
<Player> Well, I guess I'm screwed. Thanks for nothing, Taiya.
<Taiya> You're welcome! ^.^
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Saoirse wouldn't do much better

<Player> Oh, shit, six missiles incoming!
<Player> Saoirse, release chaff!
<Saoirse> Pudding for the pudding god!
<Player> What? Not pudding, chaff!
<Saoirse> PUDDING!
<Player> Crap, I'm doomed.
<Saoirse> DOOOMED!
*explosion*
<Player> And now we're floating in space.
<Saoirse> I love space. Love space.

:ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Goatbot wouldn't be useful either.

<Goatbot> Incoming: missiles x6
<player> GB release chaff!
<Goatbot> You need to be logged in to do that player.
<player> login player password
<player> Shit, GB Eject!
BOOM!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Day 6
Captain's log, stardate 1242017. This is the sixth day of our continuing mission above the planet Theorylimit. I decided it was time for a little long overdue R&R, and took a small excursion to the holodeck. Normally this might be an excellent opportunity to set up the plot for an episode, except this time, I found something woefully wrong.

The holodeck had a text interface and was operated by command line. I will have to discuss this with Geordi later.

~~~
(More seriously)
Today I worked on some more of the front-end interface with speaking to Taiya during gameplay. There's a lot she'll need to be able to do and handle - inputting option letters, asking for information on option letters, asking for stats, renaming your ship, and more. And yes, you can name your ship... but I'll only let you do it once during each game, to avoid spamming her with it. Taiya will have a lot to handle while a game is running. In addition to handling everything for each player, she'll also need to be still checking the forum, updating the RSS feed, banning bots, and talking to anyone that needs her in the primary channel (#limittheory). This brings me to a particular problem I've given a lot of thought to lately.

If you talk too quickly in IRC - if you say too many lines (especially long ones) over a short period of time - you get kicked from the channel server for "flooding". Typically this limits Taiya to one line per three seconds. Now - if each turn in Taiya's RPG takes five minutes, and we have five players, I have to ask - how many lines can I have Taiya say - not only without getting kicked, but without limiting her ability to help out in the main channel?

A typical turn in IRCRPG will go as follows:

1. Taiya announces the new turn and gives each player a set of options (1 message per player)
2. Taiya accepts each player's input and gives them a second set of options (1 message per player)
3. Taiya accepts each player's input and tells them to wait until the end of the turn (1 message per player)
4. Taiya posts in #LTRPG, telling the results of the turn (at least, the ones visible to the players (1 message)
5. Taiya gives private messages to each player that needs it, telling them what their private outcomes were for things that need it. (1 message per player)

Except this isn't all. People can also ask for information on their various options in PM, and there are also "With" actions to deal with as well. This bloats it up to more than this. Even if we allow each player to ask for their info only once per turn, and info on only two options per turn, and to look up other players only once per turn... that's an extra seven-ish lines per player. Now we're up to (11xplayers) + 1, or, with five players, 56 lines in five minutes. Fortunately, this is totally within our bounds - but she'll be spending just over half her time sending messages to player.

Taiya will be a very busy bot.

Today, I worked on that, and also added some "explain" phrases for when people ask what a particular option means. For instance, the option "[Request] Cornflakes to help you raid an incoming trade convoy for valuables" could give the info:

<Taiya> Gives a deterministic outcome. A positive result will make both of you richer and more infamous, as well as increasing your wanted level. A negative result will still increase your wanted level and make you less infamous - as well as damaging your friendship. Requires confirmation. | no guaranteed effects | positively affected by your and their connections

Finally, I also worked on the "info" phrase - the phrase she says to you when she gives you your stats (or someone else's). I'll hold that off for a later update, though. :) I'm still working on it, and there's a fairly high chance I'll rewrite it soon anyway.

Day 7
I didn't get much done today, for a number of reasons. Part of it was that I was dealing with some issues at home, part of it was issues with my laptop, part of it repairing regular!Taiya, and the largest portion of it actually doing a real job - as in money-job - which I took care of. That took priority. I'm not getting paid for this, after all. :D

But I did get about an hour of work in on the RPG anyway. Not nearly as much as usual, but it was enough to hook up PM "a" "b" "c" "d" option selection to actual outcomes, write strings, hook things up, etc - just more behind-the-scenes work that needs to be done for it to function. Taiya still can't play a single turn through all the way, but she's slowly getting there. Slowly, but surely.

In addition, I added the "show info" command - the thing that shows you a run-down of your stats:

<Taiya> You are Talvieno, an amateur explorer with practically no money to your name (₢25), and are okay with where you are in life, though you'd like it to be better. Your ship, the Columbus, is in modest condition and has horrible weaponry. Your list of contacts is non-existent; you've earned no fame and no infamy. The local law enforcement isn't interested in you.

It's made up of a bunch of different parts, which I will highlight below:

<Taiya> You are Talvieno, an amateur explorer with practically no money to your name (₢25), and are okay with where you are in life, though you'd like it to be better. Your ship, the Columbus, is in modest condition and has horrible weaponry. Your list of contacts is non-existent; you've earned no fame and no infamy. The local law enforcement isn't interested in you.

The green-highlighted areas change based on how high or low your stats are, on a value scale from 0 to 9. That means, when your stats change, you can tell because the description changes. I realize that sometimes numbers are more useful, though, so for people that would rather have numbers, I'll have a "poll stats" option as well so you can see the important bits about your character represented by numbers.

That's all for today. :) I'll get more done tomorrow for sure.

Talvieno wrote:<Taiya> You are Talvieno, an amateur explorer with practically no money to your name (₢25), and are okay with where you are in life, though you'd like it to be better. Your ship, the Columbus, is in modest condition and has horrible weaponry. Your list of contacts is non-existent; you've earned no fame and no infamy. The local law enforcement isn't interested in you.
Hmm hmm, looks like Christmas. :D
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Online Now