The game is not meant to be taken completely seriously - it's supposed to be, at least in part, funny. It'll last about ten turns, which is at most a little under an hour, so people can play while talking in IRC. During the game you go from a humble pilot to (if all goes well) the most powerful person in the known universe. As it advances so quickly, things get crazy fast.
Part of my posting here is to ensure I have something to hold me accountable, so I don't drop the project at some point. Also to give updates. For a brief while, I'm a coding game developer! Hooray!
The way it will work is like this:
1. Each player chooses a character name, gender, and five stats: Toughness, Friendliness, Caution, Diligence, and Ambition. They put in values between 0 and 9 for each stat. Taiya then takes them and evens them out so you have an average of 4.
2. You are assigned a class based on your stats. There are ten classes, mostly to help me with storytelling. I may make it so you can choose a class rather than having to put stats in, too. Current classes are:
Code: Select all
<Taiya> Hai! You said you wanted to join the game? Message me your character name and gender, and 0-9 values for the stats: Toughness, Friendliness, Caution, Diligence, and Ambition. Like this: "Taiya, female, 1,9,3,7,4" <Talvieno> Josh, male, 1, 5, 2, 9, 9 <Taiya> Your character profile has been accepted and added! Please remember not to switch your username while the game is in progress. I'll give you more instructions after the game has started.
- Bounty Hunter
Your first choice list is composed of options that affect you, and only you. Nobody else will see the results of these actions. This means you can upgrade your skills and equipment in private.
Code: Select all
<Taiya> Time for the next turn! Your options are: >>A. Attempt to upgrade your targeting computer >>B. Gather friends and attack a new freighter coming in >>C. Lay low to try to lose the heat from the cops <Talvieno> A <Taiya> Okay! I'll tell you the results after the turn. Here's your next set of choices: >>A. Try to humiliate Dino (Dinosawer) by sending him false reports >>B. [Request] BigCheese (Silver) to join you in a large-scale attack on a local trading hub >>C. [Request] Arwinia (Taiya) to duel with you to the death >>D. Help repair BigCheese's ship from the damage he sustained at Station 9 <Talvieno> info on D <Taiya> You help BigCheese repair his ship. The amount you are able to fix depends on both your knowledge of hull construction and how friendly you are.
Your second choice is composed of two types of actions: WITH actions, and [i}VS[/i] actions.
- A "WITH" action requires another player. It will send them a message, and they can choose to either accept or decline. It may benefit both parties, or have a chance to greatly benefit only one or the other. It could be gathering support for a political movement, playing a high-stakes simulation, dueling to the death, or more. A "WITH" action has a 50% chance of having the results shown in the main channel at the end of the turn, and a 50% chance of being shown only to you.
- A "VS" action does something to another player - positive or negative - without them having any option to decline. These can be things like stealing someone's job, scrambling someone's tracking equipment so you can hide from them, or even straight up attacking them. A "VS" action has a 50% chance of having the results shown in the main channel at the end of the turn, and a 50% chance of being shown only to you and the affected party.
4. You can lose by either getting arrested and thrown in prison, getting your ship blown up, or becoming so unhappy you commit suicide. There are a lot more ways to win, however:
- Becoming insanely popular(movie star, tv show host, musician, whatever)
- Becoming an infamous mob boss/criminal/etc, such that everyone fears you
- Being richer than bill gates
- Being the CEO of ... everything
- Killing off all your opponents (or letting them kill themselves off)
- Making everyone your friends.
5. Finally, Taiya will be able to control AI characters if there aren't "enough" players, and you can even abandon your character and have her play it instead.