Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: This Week I Made A Thing

Fake doors may be understandable as a developer trying to create a feeling of scope without actually doing all the work.

But dang, it is super-irritating from an Explorer's point of view to see a door and never be able to discover what ought to exist behind it....
But I still like the solution of closed off spaces better than an implausible setting, where a facility/ship/station/settlement is build just for
artistic pleasure, missing logical components that those locations would have.
Especially if the setting of the game is not a cartoonish world, but tries to keep to a real world setting.

Some games solve that by making areas partially visible, without being able to get to them (using low detail backdrop area blocked by a fence, or a semi-transparent window to an apartment etc).

Games like Just Cause 2, playing in a gigantic world. Its understandable that most buildings are closed off. (for technical and content creation reasons)
The world itself still has a plausible feeling by including all the infrastructure.

Flatfingers wrote:Fake doors may be understandable as a developer trying to create a feeling of scope without actually doing all the work.

But dang, it is super-irritating from an Explorer's point of view to see a door and never be able to discover what ought to exist behind it....
This.

if its a door, give it an obvious reason it's not openable. eg, rubble in front of it.
Or two people snogging in front of it.

Or let it be opened.

Using modular map creation, rooms could be easily created with little effort beyond the original room. especially the case for sci-fi, or fantasy rooms. And including them gives you more things to explore, and places to hide, without costing anything gameplay or development wise.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:Using modular map creation, rooms could be easily created with little effort beyond the original room. especially the case for sci-fi, or fantasy rooms. And including them gives you more things to explore, and places to hide, without costing anything gameplay or development wise.
I feel like I have to throw in Shenmue II's Kowloon here:

TWO HOURS of opening doors that are not at any point required or even expected to be opened. But you can open them and go inside anyway.

Oh, that's just one building, and not even all of it. There's another four hours of doing the same thing in other buildings.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Online Now