Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Random Sad Thread

So. the new laptop I was so happy to obtain earlier this year is mostly busted now. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but according to a couple online sources, the sounds it's making are quite possibly from a cracked fan blade. and in such circumstances, it's advisable to keep the fans turned off at all times... so the blade doesn't break loose at high speed and cause major damage. The fan isn't made to be replaced (it's actually glued in to everything around it), and I foolishly voided the warranty trying to open it up and fix what I expected to be a simple fix, like a hair caught in the motor or the axle needing oiled. I can't afford to get a replacement laptop so I'm just going to have to make do... but that means keeping the fan off, so no more rendering or games for me anytime soon.

Still kind of in shock about the whole thing. :|
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

F4wk35 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:58 am
Performance aside, do those people actually know how to build something that's not breaking down regularly?
Apparently not. Now I know, at least, how I managed to get a computer with such high specs for such a low price: they skimped on sturdiness.

And thank you for the heads up, guys! I didn't actually know there were laws saying it was okay to open my laptop up to look at it without voiding the warranty.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Tal, you can replace parts with after-market parts, and they do not void the warranty.
*UNLESS* they can prove that it was the after market part that caused the issue.

I told you all of this on IRC. :P
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Yes indeed, Silver. :) But I questioned it until I looked it up for myself. I'm not feeling quite so bad about it now. I can keep it cool with a cooling pad if I don't do anything strenuous, so it's good enough for most work-related things... for now, at least. Ironically, though, it now has less usable power than my old laptop. I'm going to try to get it fixed in a couple weeks, and hope that they don't charge for it. If they tried to, I wouldn't have any defense that I know of. The law may be on my side, but what good does that do if I can't hire a lawyer, right?

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 am
The law may be on my side, but what good does that do if I can't hire a lawyer, right?
They don't know that though. By telling them about the law and/or showing it to them on your phone or what have you, a lot of fellas have gotten repairs on their Apple products or whatever with the sticker removed. They couldn't afford lawyers either, but they didn't tell the shop dudes that. :ghost:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 am
Yes indeed, Silver. :) But I questioned it until I looked it up for myself. I'm not feeling quite so bad about it now. I can keep it cool with a cooling pad if I don't do anything strenuous, so it's good enough for most work-related things... for now, at least. Ironically, though, it now has less usable power than my old laptop. I'm going to try to get it fixed in a couple weeks, and hope that they don't charge for it. If they tried to, I wouldn't have any defense that I know of. The law may be on my side, but what good does that do if I can't hire a lawyer, right?
I also told you to look it up yourself. :V
I knew you wouldn't trust me on it. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Talvieno wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:15 pm
No offense intended there. I didn't believe anyone until I looked it up. I'd been taught my whole life not to break the sticker thing. :lol: But you guys were right. It's weird that this isn't common knowledge.
That's because companies don't WANT it to be common knowledge. It prevents people from using other suppliers for parts, and from fixing things themselves, losing them income.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Birthdays: 1. A way for humans to congratulate one another on not yet dying. 2. A way for humans to laugh in the face of those who are slowly inching their way to the grave. 3. A way for humans to forget that people die.
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Online Now