Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The Religion Thread

Poet1960 wrote: Oh, and btw, I guess anything you can't understand automatically falls into the category of, "magic." Which of course I have never said, but for some reason people like you use it a lot.
Not quite. It follows under the category of "magic" if you try to promote it as truth that is immune to scientific understanding.

I'm all for the idea that there are things that we do not yet understand, I'd even go tentatively as far as allowing for things we can't understand (given biological constraints, we can't think beyond how we've evolved to think, and that may have fundamental shortcomings).

What I do not accept is the idea of something being both real and beyond explanation. If you're proposing God as something that is somehow excluded from scientific understanding, interacting with the universe via supernatural means completely exempt from explanation, then I don't need to call it magic because you'd have done it yourself. That's literally the definition.

But, if you want to propose a God that fits within the realm of explanation yet is simply beyond our current understanding, have at it. I have no objections to that, but it would then be an entirely meaningless concept, just sitting in a bin of dead-end theories unless something significant happened to change that.

Poet1960 wrote: How many other religions have predicted events with 100% accuracy?
You can not be serious with that. Of course, for the sake of argument if we were going to simply accept that in some way shape or form foresight was available, there are still rational options. If not time travel, then determinism. A bit on the extreme and unlikely side, but sure, can't rule it out (less so time travel unless we're seriously missing some details).

Edit: I see you've added quotes. Let's be honest here, we both know any google search will turn out plenty of sites supporting what you're saying, and plenty of stuff pointing out how those are crap. We could get into them if you'd like, but I'd rather not spend my evening googling rebuttals that we both already know are there (just google 'failed christian prophecies', there's no shortage).
Last edited by Mordakai on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Job 40:6  Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 
Job 40:7  Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. 
Job 40:8  Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous? 
Job 40:9  Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him? 
Job 40:10  Deck thyself now with majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty. 
Job 40:11  Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one that is proud, and abase him. 
Job 40:12  Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place. 
Job 40:13  Hide them in the dust together; and bind their faces in secret. 
Job 40:14  Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee. 
Job 40:15  Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. 
Job 40:16  Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly. 
Job 40:17  He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. 
Job 40:18  His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron. 
Job 40:19  He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him. 
Job 40:20  Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play. 
Job 40:21  He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. 
Job 40:22  The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about. 
Job 40:23  Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth. 
Job 40:24  He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares. 
Job 41:1  Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down? 
Job 41:2  Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn? 
Job 41:3  Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee? 
Job 41:4  Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever? 
Job 41:5  Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens? 
Job 41:6  Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants? 
Job 41:7  Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears? 
Job 41:8  Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more. 
Job 41:9  Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him? 
Job 41:10  None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me? 
Job 41:11  Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine. 
Job 41:12  I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion. 
Job 41:13  Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle? 
Job 41:14  Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about. 
Job 41:15  His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal. 
Job 41:16  One is so near to another, that no air can come between them. 
Job 41:17  They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered. 
Job 41:18  By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. 
Job 41:19  Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out. 
Job 41:20  Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron. 
Job 41:21  His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth. 
Job 41:22  In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him. 
Job 41:23  The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved. 
Job 41:24  His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone. 
Job 41:25  When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves. 
Job 41:26  The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon. 
Job 41:27  He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood. 
Job 41:28  The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble. 
Job 41:29  Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear. 
Job 41:30  Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire. 
Job 41:31  He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment. 
Job 41:32  He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary. 
Job 41:33  Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear. 
Job 41:34  He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride. 
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Poet; if all you're going to do is beat your chest and state that you are the best and only one with truth, this thread is being locked. Anyone can copy-pasta the bible.

I'm tired of this stupid charade.

Just because we haven't proven/discovered something yet, does not necessarily mean we never will.

Everyone has their beliefs. There is no 'One religion to rule them all' as everyone believes their own religion is right/correct.

Want to discuss religion vs. science? Create your own forum or use one of the many out there already. This thread is already too exhausting as it is.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now