Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The General Unhappiness Megathread

kostuek wrote:Since it's almost christmas, this thread reminds me of praying to god. You can do it with much effort and for a long time, but there is always this certain probability, that no one is listening.
Except with prayer things seem to actually happen instead of remain the same. Particularly when two or more people are praying.

BFett wrote: Except with prayer things seem to actually happen instead of remain the same. Particularly when two or more people are praying.
[Citation needed]
BFett wrote:Dino, it probably has something to to with humans having free will and also having a tendency to want to do our own thing.

Talvieno very true.
god is supposed to be omniscient, so he knows what we will do regardless of how we decide.
So hes either not omniscient or not as benevolent as portrayed

Dinosawer wrote:I've never quite understood why, if god is omniscient and allwise, we still have to ask him to do the right thing before he wants to do it :ghost:
*runs*
Probably the same reason parents insist you say "please" before they give you the candy. :think:

@Silver. Could you define "contributing to the forums?" To me, that means discussing LT things, since these ARE the LT forums after all. Unfortunately, with a certain lack of actual LT to discuss, the most I can do is make mildly relevant posts here (this is the only active thread about LT, and it certainly is about LT, so even negative posts here ARE contributing to the forums IMO :shifty: ) or spam the off-topic areas with animal pictures.

Double ninjad too. :lol:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

BFett wrote:Dino, it probably has something to to with humans having free will and also having a tendency to want to do our own thing.
That's not actually an answer to what I said.
And if people's free will means a god can't influence people, then he won't be able to if people pray either.
IronDuke wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:I've never quite understood why, if god is omniscient and allwise, we still have to ask him to do the right thing before he wants to do it :ghost:
*runs*
Probably the same reason parents insist you say "please" before they give you the candy. :think:
The consequences of what people would pray for are somewhat more grave than candy. I'm kinda sure that if anyone would've had the power to, say, not let my best friend get run over and killed by a car when we were 16, they would've done that without anyone saying 'please'.

Also, I'm not 5 years old anymore. I don't have to ask my parents to please make food, just like they don't have to ask me to please clean the kitchen. We just do it.

sorry tal, but they're asking for it
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Since I am not unhappy about my religion this is probably the wrong thread to discuss it.

I cite my personal life experience with prayer. If you are really interested in how prayer seems to work in the life of Christians I suggest you watch the two movies called "God's not dead". I will warn you that you will likely hate the messaging in those films. But if you want to understand things from a Christian perspective then you can either watch those or dive into the Bible starting with Mathew.

If people want to understand someone's faith they either need to read the writings of that faith or talk to a follower of that faith. Preferable a elder of the church associated with the particular faith.

I'm not interested in pushing faith on people, but I also don't want there to be hostility towards any particular faith members here may have.

BFett wrote: I cite my personal life experience with prayer. If you are really interested in how prayer seems to work in the life of Christians I suggest you watch the two movies called "God's not dead". I will warn you that you will likely hate the messaging in those films. But if you want to understand things from a Christian perspective then you can either watch those or dive into the Bible starting with Mathew.
So you have no source other than a 2000 year old fairytale book and anecdotes.
As expected :ghost:

I never prayed with any semblance of belief and im a downright lucky bastard.

From my personal experience it couldnt go much better for me with praying to some actually existing higher being.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
BFett wrote: I cite my personal life experience with prayer. If you are really interested in how prayer seems to work in the life of Christians I suggest you watch the two movies called "God's not dead". I will warn you that you will likely hate the messaging in those films. But if you want to understand things from a Christian perspective then you can either watch those or dive into the Bible starting with Mathew.
So you have no source other than a 2000 year old fairytale book and anecdotes.
As expected :ghost:

I never prayed with any semblance of belief and im a downright lucky bastard.

From my personal experience it couldnt go much better for me with praying to some actually existing higher being.
I can source events from my life and those from other peoples lives. I can also source events from WWII which hindered the Nazis.

The fact is that you will choose to view each event as coincidence. Do some research yourself and stop attacking things that you do not understand.

Online Now