Return to “Everything & Anything”

Replacement Therapy

Ok, it can't technically be called a replacement since the original isn't out yet, but what are y'all playing instead of LT at the moment?

I just installed Bioshock having skipped it for some reason the first time around. It's bloody good, I must say.

On the space front, I'm about to break a pledge and go play Star Wars Battlefront - no Single-player (or not much) made me swear I wasn't going to give EA my money, so I waited until it was down to £15 in CEX and I just couldn't resist :-p
--
Mind The Gap
Re: Replacement Therapy

Factorio and Children of a Dead Earth at the moment, interspersed with HoI4 and some Deserts of Kharak.

Obviously I am rather decidedly more interested in the strategy layer of LT.
And after the Multiplayer mod is finished, I'll be putting some polish into the Strategy layers. :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Good topic.

I'm mostly working through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Once that's done, I'll get back to trying to finish The Talos Principle, saving the completion of the Nuka-World DLC for Fallout 4 as a light palate cleanser.

And somewhere in all of that, I'm still making some time to work on my own game. It's not competitive with LT in any way except in offering a relatively large and dynamic world with which to interact. Whenever I need a reminder that "making fun games is really hard," this project says hello. :)

Flatfingers wrote:Good topic.

I'm mostly working through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Once that's done, I'll get back to trying to finish The Talos Principle, saving the completion of the Nuka-World DLC for Fallout 4 as a light palate cleanser.
I have a massive backlog of games to work through due to work picking up a while ago: I've only completed the tutorial for Witcher 3, even! I haven't even opened the Phantom Pain yet, and I've still got Uncharted 4, Fallout 4, Deus Ex, Bloodborne, Starfox Zero, and a bunch of others :-/ I'm figuring I'll wait on Fallout 4 until the HTC Vive plugin is out, and then I won't have to leave the world until I'm dying of thirst and hunger, just like in-game! :-p
And somewhere in all of that, I'm still making some time to work on my own game. It's not competitive with LT in any way except in offering a relatively large and dynamic world with which to interact. Whenever I need a reminder that "making fun games is really hard," this project says hello. :)
Oh, sweet! At risk of going OT, what's it about?
--
Mind The Gap

Silverware wrote:...HoI4...

Wow, props for the HoI, I'm scared to even look at screenshots for that one!
I thought I loved strategy games until I saw that :-)

I always wanted to try it because I hate the Total War series; no matter how big an army you amass or how many men you send out, I could never get more than the handful of people on the literal front line to actually attack, leaving me decimated every time :-p I realised that despite loving the genre, I'm crap at it and should back away from Hearts of Iron with my head bowed
:-D
--
Mind The Gap

Ringu wrote:
Silverware wrote:...HoI4...

Wow, props for the HoI, I'm scared to even look at screenshots for that one!
I thought I loved strategy games until I saw that :-)

I always wanted to try it because I hate the Total War series; no matter how big an army you amass or how many men you send out, I could never get more than the handful of people on the literal front line to actually attack, leaving me decimated every time :-p I realised that despite loving the genre, I'm crap at it and should back away from Hearts of Iron with my head bowed
:-D

HoI4 is easy mode for Grand Strategy, much simplified from 3, (in three you had to manage OOB too, and that was painful, is why I don't play HoI3)
You can set the AI to manage combat, and mostly it's about producing the right levels of equipment, which is a reasonably simple job you pick up within two dozen hours.

If you like the IDEA of being Nazi Germany and starting a series of wars in '36, or being Venezuela and conquering all of South America, or conquering the world as Canada.
Then give it a shot. Really, it's not that difficult, the learning curve isn't too brutal.
It's not Dwarf Fortress.
Spoiler:      SHOW
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Ringu wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:I'm still making some time to work on my own game. It's not competitive with LT in any way except in offering a relatively large and dynamic world with which to interact. Whenever I need a reminder that "making fun games is really hard," this project says hello. :)
Oh, sweet! At risk of going OT, what's it about?
Turn-based light strategy in a science-fiction setting, in which you don't control individual units to try to destroy other units.

It actually is a replacement for wondering about Limit Theory in that it gives me something else about which I can think, "Will it ever be finished?" :D

Well, after the most recent run of space duds (NMS, MoO, Everspace), I've just about had it with the genre revival attempts. It's 2016, and it's absolutely shameful that no one seems to be capable of making a decent space game anymore. Come to think of it, my best genre experience as of late was Rebel Galaxy, a 20$-game slapped together by 2 devs in an incredibly short time, using the Torchlight engine to boot. Talk about an unlikely contender. But it worked, it was fun, it was feature complete and didn't explode in your face or kick your nuts until you lost interest.

4x games? I've yet to see something give Space Empires IV a run for the money when it comes to options and their implementation. So many giant shoulders to stand on, but devs insist on reinventing the wheel and failing miserably at it.

Right now, I'm playing Portal Knights (and finding it rather enjoyable - it's not unlike Minecraft, but with everything removed that doesn't look like it'd fit in a Zelda game;)), look forward to Shadow Warrior 2, and would murder for one of those sandbox/builder SciFi games to finally come out of early access and be somewhat decent. Sadly, that kind of games seems to linger in Early Access for a few years and then die without ever having reached beta or release state. A crying shame, really.

So, I'm back to murdering things for fun and profit, it seems. With swords, to boot.

-Hardenberg
Image Raaaaaaarrgh! I'm cute but fierce! :lol:
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Online Now