Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Dr. Dinosawer answers all your questions on physics

Cornflakes_91 wrote:*Master Dinosawer, no?
:ghost:
Read the disclaimer :ghost:
Silverware wrote:Why is carbon so damn useful, sometimes semi-conductor, construction material, hardest mineral, nanotubes.
It's basically magic right?
Mostly coincidence, I think - semi conductor and nanotubes are because it has the same crystal structure as silicon (yes, silicon nanotubes exist)
construction material? You build walls out of graphite or diamond? :P
And I have no idea how material hardness if formed (and I'm not sure material physics does)

Aside from that, it's very abundant - rare materials have less chance to be widely useful
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

0111narwhalz wrote:Regarding building materials: I think graphene and carbon fiber are the varieties of carbon of which Silver speaks.
And plastics ;V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
0111narwhalz wrote:Regarding building materials: I think graphene and carbon fiber are the varieties of carbon of which Silver speaks.
And plastics ;V
Well, but then you're infecting my nice, clean carbon with your filthy hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

That seems to change your original question, which I interpreted as being carbon-specific. But maybe you were thinking carbon generally, including any molecules that just happen to have sweet, delicious carbon in them.

Here's a question: despite a source quoted in the story specifically saying "this [work] does not violate the laws of physics thermodynamics," how quickly will some people report on the discovery that cooling ionic gases to extremely low temperatures can produce multiple temperature states must be an "exception to the laws of thermodynamics" that enables perpetual-motion machines to work? :problem:

[Edit: bah. Jeez, Flatfingers, if you're going to complain, at least quote the source correctly.]
Last edited by Flatfingers on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronDuke wrote:What's the difference between a coilgun, a railgun, and a Gauss cannon?

--IronDuke
Coilgun = Gauss cannon, I believe.
A coilgun is a set of electromagnets which accelerate the projectile through magnetic attraction, while a railgun is a pair of rails which accelerates a projectile through the Lorentz force. Railguns have a crazy arc from one rail, through the armature, and to the other rail.

Slymodi wrote:Why does the predicted mass of the quantum vacuum have little effect on the expansion of the universe?
Because the predicted mass of the quantum vacuum is wrong. The expansions of the universe in fact gives you a fairly good estimate of what the correct mass should be, and is thus one of the indications that the Standard Model is incomplete, since each particle has an impact on the mass, and thus extra particles could bring the mass to the correct value.
As to what exactly is wrong with the standard model, well, if I knew that I'd be ready to collect my Nobel prize soon :ghost:
IronDuke wrote:What's the difference between a coilgun, a railgun, and a Gauss cannon?
In short, what narwhalz said.

In more detail:
Coilgun:
One electromagnet or a series of electromagnets (consisting of coils, as electromagnets are) set up in such a way that a projectile can pass through the center. The projectile is accelerated by turning on the magnet, so the projectile is attracted to it, and then turning it off when the projectile passes through the magnet, so the projectile keeps its momentum and flies out again at high speed.
This only works if the projectile is made of a ferromagnetic material and is fairly hard to make (for high velocity bullets your magnets have to switch on and off very quickly) Image Railgun:
An electrical circuit consisting of 2 rails (hence the name) connected to the power source, and a projectile that slides between the two, connecting them electrically. If you put a strong current on this circuit, it also produces a strong magnetic field. (It's essentially one loop of an electromagnet)
Now, a magnetic field exerts a force on a wire through which a current is flowing. In this case, the force push the projectile forward in the rails, accelerating it.
This is partically easier to build, and can accelerate projectiles to immense velocities, but the friction also puts an immense stress on the rails. Image Gauss cannon or gauss gun:
is normally a synonym for coilgun, except in the numerous cases where the name is used by people who don't know the difference between the two :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now