Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Dr. Dinosawer answers all your questions on physics

0111narwhalz wrote:
IronDuke wrote: Also, I read 5 (I think?) books of The Expanse, and I don't recall anything but railguns in there. :think:
Pretty sure the railguns are long-range ship-ship guns and the Gauss cannons were PDC's.
Exactly. They call point defens cannons (PDCs) Gauss cannons sometimes. And railguns are for insane ship to ship hole-doing from far away.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

If you apply a force off of the center of mass of an object, how much angular acceleration does it provide? What's the formula/equation/thingy for this?

E.G. For maneuvering thrusters, I need to know how much force to apply at the thruster location to get a specific angular acceleration. My physics book seems to cover everything except that. :monkey:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

angular acceleration = force * lever lenght (distance from CoM) / moment of inertia

dont forget that that also still applies a linear acceleration as usual if you have unbalanced thrust

edit:

example tables of moments of inertia for a couple of objects
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... of_inertia
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Wed May 17, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IronDuke wrote:Oooh, thanks guys! This is super simple :oops: helpful! :thumbup: :D

--IronDuke
you can take variations of the "3D inertia tensors" from my link and adapt them to spaceships (for example the ellipsoid one adapted to the dimensions of the ship)
and just put your x,y,z torques into those formulas (attention with signs!)
to get a probably passable approximation.
with "only" 7 variables attached to the ship

and to avoid having to calculate accurate moments of inertia for your ships :ghost:
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Online Now