Return to “Everything & Anything”

Help to start coding.

Hey guys, i've entered an engineering school this year and have started using python and java, i'm doing okay at the moment.
I have been doing silly things on javaFX like doing a small solar system that i will attach with this post so you can have a look :D

So i wanted to start learning C++ (not necessarily C++) and openGL just to start coding simple things.

I've been wondering on google for quite a while and this is the reason why i'm posting here.
I'm coding using a mac (i can dualboot to window though) and i rather stay on OSX if possible.
I want to be able to compile for Windows, OSX and Linux. But Xcode does not seem very nice for doing that.

I was wondering if you guys knew any programming tool that was good for doing cross platform compiling.

Thanks in advance guys.
Attachments
Planets.jar.zip
Here is my little solar system thingy
(7.99 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Re: Help to start coding.

Ownez wrote:Yeah i see what you mean, I should say make simple things out of complex code :D

[edit]
And thanks for the advice i will have a look at CMake.
CMake is the way to go. getting it setup is not simple.
If you want to write C++ and do 3D stuff easily, I can highly recommend Urho3D, once you have it compiling and sorted, it's really powerful and handles much of the heavy lifting for you. Abstracting away the OGL calls, which is a godsend, hardware is evil imo.

It also has premade CMake scripts to allow easy cross compile. :P (Which is why I mention it)

http://urho3d.github.io/

Easier and nicer than Irrlicht, Ogre, or Unity imho.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now