Return to “Everything & Anything”

Computer Help Anyone?

Being that the we have the smartest collection of people here, I figured I would ask....

I have having an issue with my sons gaming laptop. It's an MSI GT60 20C

Now, I hate modern setups. They don't give you physical copies of anything anymore, no windows keys, nothing. I have been told that the window keys for these things are embeded in the bios now??

My problem is I have tried to do a "restore to factory state" or what ever it's called after my son gimped up his system with various malware. (after scaping it all off, it never worked correctly, so I figured a fresh install would do)

After it went though it's restore it must have had an issue, because now it can't find it's "Boot Configuration Data".

Now "back in the day" it was just as easy as booting from the OS disk and doing a fresh format and install, however, without a physical copy it's more diffcult. I know you can create one from the microsoft site, but I assume it's going to ask for a CD key at some point... and I don't think it's going to somehow grab it from the Bios....

Anyone have a suggestion?
My Signature
Re: Computer Help Anyone?

What version of Windows?
You're generally "supposed" to create a boot disk/USB stick from the pc itself at some point, but I guess it's too late for that at this point.
Maybe the windows key is somewhere on the laptop itself? On ours it's on a sticker on the bottom.

Edit: internet seems to suggest that, if you install the same version of windows, it will indeed get the key itself from UEFI. Worth a try I'd say...
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:What version of Windows?
You're generally "supposed" to create a boot disk/USB stick from the pc itself at some point, but I guess it's too late for that at this point.
Maybe the windows key is somewhere on the laptop itself? On ours it's on a sticker on the bottom.

Edit: internet seems to suggest that, if you install the same version of windows, it will indeed get the key itself from UEFI. Worth a try I'd say...
Well, it's worth a try. I can't seem to find any writable disks or sticks so I guess it's going to wait. (tried using a flash card and it created on it fine, but couldn't see it durring boot)
My Signature

Skyfligher wrote:Usually you will find the key somewhere on the battery if it is removable.
Checked and sadly no.

MSI got back to me and informed me that microsoft no longer allows them to give out windows keys anymore. They all HAVE to be part of the bios now.

Anyways, heading out to pick up some writeable dics to give this a try.

On a side note, I know his laptop was installed with windows "8", currently you can only get windows "8.1" from microsoft. I am assuming the key will still work with 8.1.....
My Signature

Dear God. I'm now seriously considering moving to linux.

The latest 8.1 ISO should install fine with a Win 8 embedded key. If that doesn't happen, you can install 8.1 with a generic key- http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showt ... oduct-Keys

If you install using a generic key, the OS won't be activated. You'll have to manually activate it by going into the System properties and entering the Windows 8 key embedded into your BIOS. This key can be pulled using software available online. Alternatively, you could paste this command in the command prompt(opened as administrator) to find the key-
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Lum wrote:Always the same sh*t nowadays. You buy something that, in the ends, doesn't belong to you at all... :evil:
Read an EULA once. They never do belong to you. If you want to own a thing, buy items, not product licenses based on protected IP :V
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Zanteogo wrote: MSI got back to me and informed me that microsoft no longer allows them to give out windows keys anymore. They all HAVE to be part of the bios now.
...wait what?
seriously?
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The amount of keys that accidentally fall off a truck, I'm not surprised...
panic

Mistycica wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Zanteogo wrote: MSI got back to me and informed me that microsoft no longer allows them to give out windows keys anymore. They all HAVE to be part of the bios now.
...wait what?
seriously?
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The amount of keys that accidentally fall off a truck, I'm not surprised...
One of the reasons that 10 is free to anyone who has a copy of windows legit, or not.
Microsoft is trying to move to subscription based services.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now