Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The Daguerreian Process

Victor Tombs wrote::angel:
Victor,
Spoiler:      SHOW
While I appreciate the pep talk, I think it's worth mentioning that while you personally might be well off, the same is not true for the majority of the Earth's human population, including pretty much my entire family. Even in the bastion of human rights, example for the world to follow and the biggest exporter of democracy - the US - most people die poor and miserable... And continuous population growth, greatly outpacing the rate at which few renewable resources can renew themselves, is not particularly conductive to the happiness and well-being of the future generations.

So pep talks are all good...but coming from someone of your standing they sound patronising at best, and disconnected from reality at worst. I am not doubting that you didn't mean to come across like that, but please be aware that it's an impression you can easily produce.

Now, points:

V: What were your plans, your dreams for life? It really doesn't matter what others think of you, outlander4. If you learn just one lesson from being here it should be that you're the only one who can brand you a failure.

I want to become a writer. Having hard time actually implementing it. My other activities include science (a Ph.D in environmental microbiology/bioremediation), work (I make mead, and people say it's good), photography (that photo of mine is an autoportrait, taken on an old Soviet film camera and digitised afterwards), and a great deal of smaller hobbies. I don't give a damn about what other people think of me, which makes me do all those things but also makes my social life rather scarce.

V: Hopefully, you still have one thing that is precious in this life...time. That gift of time which you can choose to use wisely or not.

Exactly, my problem is in wasting it too much. Spreading too thin. Being lazy. Always waiting for inspiration. But it's ok, I'll deal with it somehow, don't worry on my account.

V: It's such a brief existence we have in this realm, why fill your mind with imagined terrors? :angel:

I don't. I accept the sad reality of the situation, and I try making the best out of it, try turning failures into cornerstones of the future success. Imagined terrors are for my writing, where they become real :evil:
Grumblesaur, that's a rather epic face.

Edited because spoilers and quotes don't mix.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

I'm not known to be patronizing, outlander4, not here and certainly not in real life. Although I now live a very insular existence it wasn't always that way. If you think it was a simple case of a privileged soul giving you some kind of pep talk then I have no intention of attempting to remove the scales from your eyes. I didn't come from a privileged background and I don't fail to see the injustice of this world. In my own way and in a modest fashion with a group of like minded souls (who also live insular lives) I do what I can to improve the lot of those who need real help. :)

I genuinely hope you manage to find those things you feel are missing in your life. :angel:

Mistycica wrote:
Silverware wrote:thing
I never knew how much I wanted a big ASCII grasslands picture on my wall until now.
Dinosawer wrote:Actually, that's a TV on which he was playing Dwarf Fortress :ghost:
Why can't it be both? :V
I agree Misty, picture of the grasslands on a A2 poster would be amazing. :D

I should play more DF... :P
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I agree that Outlander looks handsome, Grumble looks epic, and I already knew Silver looked great. :P Vartul, you look pretty nice too - but your jokes don't seem to match your appearance; you don't look the type to make the jokes you sometimes make in IRC. :lol: Then again, neither does DWMagus. :P
outlander4 wrote:
Mistycica wrote:
Vartul wrote:Oh, this thread is gold. Humans everywhere. Who would've thought? :P
What, should I post my fursona? :roll:
Go for it! We won't judge you!
We might! :monkey: (Just kidding, we wouldn't)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Victor Tombs wrote:A kind soul with looks to match, Vartul. Much younger than I imagined for one who demonstrates wisdom in his posts. :angel:
Thank you Victor. I would hardly call it wisdom. It's mostly just learning from my mistakes. :)
Lum wrote:Damn, I can't picture you like a manga/anime character anymore... :ghost: :D
I know, I love my display pic. Dude looks way better than I do. :P
Mistycica wrote:
Vartul wrote:Oh, this thread is gold. Humans everywhere. Who would've thought? :P
What, should I post my fursona? :roll:
I'm not sure I get that term, but go ahead. We'll find out. :D

Talvieno wrote:I agree that Outlander looks handsome, Grumble looks epic, and I already knew Silver looked great. :P Vartul, you look pretty nice too - but your jokes don't seem to match your appearance; you don't look the type to make the jokes you sometimes make in IRC. :lol: Then again, neither does DWMagus. :P
What IRC jokes? I'm sure I know nothing about them. :think:
Lol, plenty of people say that I look very serious. The kind of person who might get easily offended. :mrgreen:

Online Now