Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The Daguerreian Process

plillevold wrote:
Scytale wrote:Alright this is going to take a while :P At least I'm learning a lot about Norway

Assuming it is in Norway!
Scytale, it's great that you learn alot about Norway, but to save on your sanity then I think you need a first hint:
One thing to know about Norway is that we traditionally build our churches in wood, and they are generally a lot taller than myself :angel:
That's a heck of a hint, thanks! I'll keep looking.

Detritus wrote:
plillevold wrote:hint:
One thing to know about Norway is that we traditionally build our churches in wood, and they are generally a lot taller than myself :angel:
But Norwegian churches that are made of wood are typically brown... :think:

This one looks like it is made of possibly brick, with plaster above to make it look nice. But I know nothing of Norwegian churches. Heck I don't even know for certain if this is a church. :ghost:

EDIT: I cheated, and now I know... :( Won't say what is it here though. :ghost:
Great thinking, Detritus :thumbup:

But: yes, the older churches, socalled "stavkirke", are typically brown due to the wood not being painted. Only a few of these are left standing (28 according to wikipedia)
The later churches, though, are still wood, but they are usually painted white.

PM me your answer! I'm also very interested in how you cheated :twisted:
old-fashioned :ghost:

plillevold wrote:
Detritus wrote:
plillevold wrote:hint:
But Norwegian churches that are made of wood are typically brown... :think:

This one looks like it is made of possibly brick, with plaster above to make it look nice. But I know nothing of Norwegian churches. Heck I don't even know for certain if this is a church. :ghost:

EDIT: I cheated, and now I know... :( Won't say what is it here though. :ghost:
Great thinking, Detritus :thumbup:

But: yes, the older churches, socalled "stavkirke", are typically brown due to the wood not being painted. Only a few of these are left standing (28 according to wikipedia)
The later churches, though, are still wood, but they are usually painted white.

PM me your answer! I'm also very interested in how you cheated :twisted:
Ah. :ghost:

The stavkirke churches look very unusual. :lol:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Baile nam Fonn wrote:This portrait isn't recent and lacks colour, but I like it. Skating (poorly) on the Rideau is the context; credit goes to an awesome photographer friend. :)
My sister always insists I'm photogenic, but I have to wonder if there's bias involved..
Spoiler:      SHOW
I'm pretty sure I was attempting a smile. :?
Also my beard tends not to be so tame and stubbly, since my barber patronage is intentionally infrequent.

*Looks twice* *Looks trice*

Well, good morning, Mr. Freeman! :ghost:

Also, really nice photo :)
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Oh. Interesting. I'm completely unfamiliar with Half-Life, so I guess I couldn't have anticipated that..

*researches*

Not a resemblance that would persist when factoring in my red beard, I reckon? :P
Spoiler:      SHOW

I do know a woman who always calls me "professor" (and I always enjoy the irony -- I'm a highschool dropout with a profound lack of academic ambition). :squirrel:

A crowbar is an excellent tool I suppose, but not one that I have used much.
At work I regularly use what we call a pry bar to shift machinery; it's longer than a sledgehammer with almost as much heft, and unbent.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Online Now