Return to “Everything & Anything”

The Expanse (scifi series)

Ok, I never heard about this. I am a star trek/star wars fan. Traditional scifi, and while i like movies like Event Horizon and Pandorum (pretty much anything scifi) I never really bothered to read other sicifi works, but it seems a lot of good books have been published and more authors are getting some notice with self publishing and www, instead of having only the choice of what publishers think we want to read.

So when I saw the first episode of The Expanse, I was hooked. I went and bought all the books. I am on book three now. The show in its first episode has done an awesome job of drawing from its book. A very true to form adaption. As some times, too often things get lost from the book to the screen.

At the very least we have 10 episodes to watch, which is the first book. Can't wait to see it on the screen.

If you are like me and think you only like star trek/star wars, give other scifi a shot, they are way better to the thinking mind!
The Expanse

Just wondering, does anyone else here watch The Expanse?

It sort of reminds me of a cross between Mass Effect and 2001 Space Odyssey. Fourth episode aired this week.

It's supposed to be based off a novel I believe. It was marketed as "Game of Thrones in Space".

It's really, dark. Perhaps too much. (I don't mind dark stuff, but it has to have brief light breathers or it becomes a depressing chore to continue)

It is so far a "realistic" space series. No FTL, humans have colonized Mars and the Moon and have permanent outposts in the asteroid belts and beyond. There has only been one "alien-ish / super tech" event so far and it occurred during the opening of the first episode. (sort of reminds me of how in Game of Thrones we see a glimpse of the White Walkers right at the start, then all mundane stuff for the rest of the first season)

I hope this thing gets an audience, it seems like each episode is big budget and would be easily be cancelled without the numbers.
My Signature
Re: The Expanse

I've watched all four episodes and I love it. It's based on the books by James S. A. Corey. My wife got me the first three in a boxed set for Christmas. I haven't had time to even start them yet. I just finished the fifth book and started the sixth of David Webers Safehold series. :clap: :thumbup:
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Zanteogo wrote:blah blah blah
Spoiler:      SHOW
That avatar is Miller, ain't it? :shifty:

Haven't seen the show yet, but I've read all five books. They're not bad, but they're really dark, gloomy, and depressing, with a lot of horror. And zombies. Also, there isn't enough spaceship action, which is what I was looking for when I got them. At least what spaceship stuff there is is grindingly realistic. :squirrel:
--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

IronDuke wrote:
Spoiler:      SHOW
That avatar is Miller, ain't it? :shifty:

Haven't seen the show yet, but I've read all five books. They're not bad, but they're really dark, gloomy, and depressing, with a lot of horror. And zombies. Also, there isn't enough spaceship action, which is what I was looking for when I got them. At least what spaceship stuff there is is grindingly realistic. :squirrel:
--IronDuke
Well that might turn me off the series. Like I said, I don't mind dark, but it has to have some bright spots every once in a while.

The space battle in the fourth episode was sort of cool. (in a somewhat realistic way)

I'll give it until the end of the first season, if the TV show just continually shoves down the viewers throat that the future is shit and everything sucks I will let it go.
My Signature

Well.. I have never been more on the fence of a show now. (weird for someone who has changed their profile pic to the show, I know)

Minor spoilers I guess,

I just watched (the 5th?) episode. Over all, I see they have now established who the main cast are. Through it seems to be a series were anyone can die at any time. The renaming and music cues implies that the current space craft they have will be with them for some time. I am guessing it's going to be the "enterprise" of the series for a time. It could all be bait and switch however and the thing could be blown up next episode of course. They did seem to spend some time with the set on this one, though it was clear that they reused some old sets with it and just changed some things and lighting.

I have a personal issue watching shows with child suffering / death. This is solely a personal thing and in no way judge others who don't mind. It's all just acting of course. It's just something I have a hard time dealing with. The last episode put me on the edge of what I can handle with this.

I do like the direction they are going. I do hope the show has small blips of light in the sea of what so far is really, really, dark. As I said in my previous post, I don't mind dark stuff, it just can't be 100% dark ALL the time or it becomes a chore to watch.
My Signature

I rather agree. I love when things get dark, but there have to be light parts too sometimes, or it's like drowning yourself. You never get to come back up for air. And I'm sure that, if something bad happened to a kid in the series, they were specifically aiming at parents right there. There's nothing a parent fears more than something happening to their child. I personally feel like it's a bit of a low blow. I understand playing off someone's fears to make something scary, or to show who's the villain, but I feel tormenting children goes a bit too far... just my opinion of it, of course, but.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I rather agree. I love when things get dark, but there have to be light parts too sometimes, or it's like drowning yourself. You never get to come back up for air. And I'm sure that, if something bad happened to a kid in the series, they were specifically aiming at parents right there. There's nothing a parent fears more than something happening to their child. I personally feel like it's a bit of a low blow. I understand playing off someone's fears to make something scary, or to show who's the villain, but I feel tormenting children goes a bit too far... just my opinion of it, of course, but.
Yup. The funny thing is the actor playing the child (and parents) would be delighted to know that they did such a good job portraying the character that we feel an emotional draw.

It's harmless of course. Like I said, I don't mind if others don't care. It's all fake and acting.

Going back to The Expanse, the part with the child suffering and death hits you multiple ways.. (spoilers of course)

At first, it's clear the first child portrayed has some sort of issue. The clue is the way over simplistic learning game the child of that age is playing. You then find out afterward it's the reason the child's parents of rebelling in the first place. The space mining living environment is causing brain issues with the children. (though why anyone would have children on a space mining station is beyond me) You then see the parents try their best to bargain for the lives of their children, then beg, then you see them all floating dead in space.. ugg..

I understand the whole point of the scene. It's to explain the back story of a previously presented character. It was a tad much for me however.
My Signature
Re: The Expanse (scifi series)

I heard about this and went out of my way to watch it (I don't watch TV at all... oops) simply because I've read some pretty good space opera before and I had to see what it was like for one to get a good TV adaption. I'm sure there are other good series I've missed, but I'm glad I found this one anyway.

I didn't realize the TV adaption covered such a small portion of the series, so the books are going to end up on my to-read list sooner or later.

Online Now