Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The Expanse (scifi series)

Talvieno wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:The already were different squads, but there was quite some interaction... still, maybe not impossible, but I'm not the writer :ghost:
Not impossible, no. Impossible while retaining the old cast, also no. Impossible while retaining the cast and telling a good story people can really sink into... most likely yes.
Hmm...you might have to rewrite some parts, indeed...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Well, I just finished the first season.
Spoiler:      SHOW
I'm severely disappointed that Avasarala is so tame compared to her sheer vulgarity of speech in the book. Never thought that would disappoint me, but eh. Amos is great, and not a little freaky sometimes with that soft voice. Naomi is annoying because she's a long-limbed Belter in the book, but doesn't seem to be in the show. At least she's got a terrifying glare. Holden's face looks fake somehow; I know it ain't, but it just feels fake. Alex is positively awesome, especially that accent. RIP Shed. And somewhere I completely missed that Fred Johnson was a black guy. (Give him a freaking inhaler too.) That protomolecule tho :shock: freakiest thing ever. I'm likely not gonna watch season 2.

Something bothered me about the CGI space stuff. It didn't feel real; the ships were all super shiny, the lens flares too intense, the colors oversaturated. It reminded me of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. I think they went overboard on the effects for extra bling. Still, the ship designs looked freaking awesome, and the Rocinante shredding a hangerful of people with the turreted gatling PDCs was glorious.

By the way, if you're gonna fire nukes at a completely unarmed ice hauler, why fire 4? Total waste. Should just use 1. :roll:
--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

IronDuke wrote:Well, I just finished the first season.
Spoiler:      SHOW
I'm severely disappointed that Avasarala is so tame compared to her sheer vulgarity of speech in the book. Never thought that would disappoint me, but eh. Amos is great, and not a little freaky sometimes with that soft voice. Naomi is annoying because she's a long-limbed Belter in the book, but doesn't seem to be in the show. At least she's got a terrifying glare. Holden's face looks fake somehow; I know it ain't, but it just feels fake. Alex is positively awesome, especially that accent. RIP Shed. And somewhere I completely missed that Fred Johnson was a black guy. (Give him a freaking inhaler too.) That protomolecule tho :shock: freakiest thing ever. I'm likely not gonna watch season 2.

Something bothered me about the CGI space stuff. It didn't feel real; the ships were all super shiny, the lens flares too intense, the colors oversaturated. It reminded me of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. I think they went overboard on the effects for extra bling. Still, the ship designs looked freaking awesome, and the Rocinante shredding a hangerful of people with the turreted gatling PDCs was glorious.

By the way, if you're gonna fire nukes at a completely unarmed ice hauler, why fire 4? Total waste. Should just use 1. :roll:
--IronDuke
I can see a sufficiently large hauler (even a civilian one) having at least a whipple shield (haven't seen the show, so idk if that's accurate), so you'd want a few nukes to blast that off and get at the goodies inside. It's like an aluminum-wrapped pinata, with squishy people inside instead of candy, and you're hitting it with a city-buster instead of a stick!

EDIT: Speaking of watching the first season, did you find a place where you could watch it for free or were you stuck buying it somewhere? I haven't found any places to watch season 1 free without being somewhat arr-y.

cuisinart8 wrote: I can see a sufficiently large hauler (even a civilian one) having at least a whipple shield (haven't seen the show, so idk if that's accurate), so you'd want a few nukes to blast that off and get at the goodies inside. It's like an aluminum-wrapped pinata, with squishy people inside instead of candy, and you're hitting it with a city-buster instead of a stick!

EDIT: Speaking of watching the first season, did you find a place where you could watch it for free or were you stuck buying it somewhere? I haven't found any places to watch season 1 free without being somewhat arr-y.
I haven't heard of any whipple shields in use in the show, and this nuke was a direct impact on the hull, then a freakin' huge blast that looked like it was a couple thousand kilometers wide.

I got the show from the local library. :ghost:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Hey!
Doing some necro, but for a good cause :ghost:

You may already know but Syfy decided to cancel the show after season 3.

There is currently a social media campaign lead by the fans to convice Amazon to save the show : there are rumors they may be interested and they already work with the production company of the serie.

Petition (60k + currently) : https://www.change.org/p/amazon-or-netf ... theexpanse

Some fans even have crowfunded & organized a banner flyby over Amazon Studios HQ today in Santa Monica :clap:
https://www.gofundme.com/savetheexpanse-marketing

The Expanse never has received the type of marketing support that it should have. I've talked to so many people who would be interested in this type of show, but have never heard of it. I'm hoping Amazon will pick it up. I think the show will benefit with no longer being on SyFy. Over 50% of US households would have access to the show if Amazon picked it up.

Online Now