Return to “Everything & Anything”

Windows 10

### The story so far###

Okay, so recently I've upgraded from Windows 7. I went from 7 to 8 to 8.1 and finally to 10. All I can say is that I am not impressed in the slightest and Windows 10 is the most annoying operating system I've ever used.

### Why it is so horribly bad ###

Windows 10 is extremely slow at times and the first thing that happened was it froze. I had to install a third party program to get rid of a bug that made Windows 10 unusable because every time I right clicked on the file explorer, taskbar, task menu it froze for about 20 seconds and then the screen flashed and a popup come up saying the graphics driver stopped responding but has now recovered. Not impressed so far I decided to download some games, programming things such as Python, C++ IDE, etc. I left the computer whilst Steam installed and I then installed War Thunder. That was when it got even worse. I went into War Thunder and played in full screen mode. I was in the process of dive bombing enemy vehicles when War Thunder came of full screen, minimized and unfocused (meaning I had no keyboard control in the game). I crashed and died. The cause? Windows 10 was notifying me in a popup that covered about 1/8 of the screen saying that it would update after I shutdown. I then went back into War Thunder, and guess what? About 3 minutes later the popup popped up again saying it would update! It kept doing this so eventually I restarted and it updated. So fast forward a couple of days and everything is fine, this time I'm programming a game which is in full screen. For some unknown reason it keeps coming out of full screen. I keep searching through the code trying to work out why. Then one of the time's it come's out I notice that a tiny little box at the bottom is flashing up saying "Java 8 Update". After reinstalling Java this stopped. The box also stopped coming up. I wasted about 40 minutes trying to work out why my code kept making the game come out of full screen. That's ignoring the time I spent reprogramming the whole window code and going through SFML documentation and even at one point directly editing the SFML game library after reading on Stackoverflow that it may be caused by an error in the Win32 code in SFML. I followed what it said on Stackoverflow but it didn't work. I went to look at what happened after it came out of full screen. That's when I noticed the tiny box popup. I have no idea why the Windows 10 developers decided on the annoying notifications and why in there right minds would make a notification and a tiny box popping up take a user out of a full screen application. After much annoyance I decided that I didn't really like the general Windows colours. So I go into the settings (discovering apparently there are two settings applications?). I went into personalization and clicked on theme. Nothing there except selecting themes (I expected I might be able to edit themes and create custom ones). So I go to the colours area and there is simply an accent colour. It let's me select the overall colour for the taskbar, task menu, etc. Microsoft developer's had completely torn out the Windows 7 customization and simply added the possibility to change the accent colour. So I installed UXTheme patcher and got a theme called Unity. This is when I began to notice drastic performance issues in the Edge Browser and whilst opening files and the task menu. It was extremely slow at times. I went to the settings on the OS and turned off all the eye candy, ALL OF IT! Still the OS was slow at time's for some reason. A few days after that I was using the Edge Browser and left it on whilst leaving my computer. I came back like 40 minutes later. I went to the move the mouse, and well it started chugging around the screen. It was EXTREMLY slow and I mean EXTREMLY. I couldn't work out why and slowly went to the task manager after a while. The Edge Browser apparently was using close to 100% memory and CPU. I closed the Edge Browser and it instantly sped up. I opened it again and there was no problem, leading me to believe Edge had some big bug.

### Summin' it up! ###

Microsoft's Windows 10 is extremely slow, annoying, contains useless program and more. To sum it up Windows 10 is the worst operating system developed by a company nearing the size and influence in OS's as Microsoft (Mac, Ubuntu, Linux, Android, etc).

P.S I mean in recent times so ignoring Windows ME and other operating system's like that.

P.S.S The situation becomes more laughable according to this article : http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... 11-1293309. Windows 10 is the last Windows operating system, Microsoft will be releasing regular updates and they have made it the best it can be.
Re: Windows 10

NeothPlays wrote: P.S.S The situation becomes more laughable according to this article : http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... 11-1293309. Windows 10 is the last Windows operating system, Microsoft will be releasing regular updates and they have made it the best it can be.
What exactly is laughable about that? There will still be updates, new features and improvements, same sort of thing as Android. Continuous changes, just none involving a re-release of a new platform.

Anyways.. Short response, I've noticed not a single one of the issues you've mentioned,so... *shrug* (although I had to skim a little trying to read through your wall of text, so could have missed one)

Have not had any experiences that feels like a downgrade from 7 or 8, so no complaints here.

Mordakai wrote:
NeothPlays wrote: P.S.S The situation becomes more laughable according to this article : http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... 11-1293309. Windows 10 is the last Windows operating system, Microsoft will be releasing regular updates and they have made it the best it can be.
What exactly is laughable about that? There will still be updates, new features and improvements, same sort of thing as Android. Continuous changes, just none involving a re-release of a new platform.

Anyways.. Short response, I've noticed not a single one of the issues you've mentioned,so... *shrug* (although I had to skim a little trying to read through your wall of text, so could have missed one)

Have not had any experiences that feels like a downgrade from 7 or 8, so no complaints here.
It's laughable because in the article it's basically saying that it's going to be the last Windows because there changing to a different marking scheme, it goes on to say how Microsoft gave it all they could give it. It's laughable because apparently Microsoft gave it all they could give it.

Microsoft recently stopped reporting Xbox console sales in its quarterly reports. Instead, they'll track Xbox Live user stats.

That inspired me to write the following over at Gamasutra.

I suspect this is just one of the numerous actions Microsoft is taking this year to focus on what they perceive as their greatest strategic threat for the next 5-10 years: Google. (And, to a lesser extent, Apple.)

Reporting online "engagement" for access to games in place of hardware sales; the heavy-handed tactics pushing Windows 7/8 users to install Win 10 with its forced online updates and enhanced telemetry; pushing Azure and other cloud-based data storage services -- these all suggest to me that MS thinks it needs to transform itself into a cloud access provider.

What MS sells has always been "user access to data." They see Google jumping past them to define access to online data as more important than access to stuff on an isolated hard drive -- so staying alive means seeing where Google is going and getting there first.

I imagine Windows 10 is being seen as a transitional product, and possibly the final desktop operating system Microsoft ever creates. It won't surprise me if by 2017 MS endorses a new "dumb terminal" product whose only job is to stream user content (including game data) that is stored only on cloud servers and delivered by a cloud-based OS.

That dumb terminal might even be based on the Xbox. Or MS might do a deal with third-party makers of things like the Steam Machine. The point is that MS sees battling over the desktop OS and consoles as increasingly irrelevant. What matters is to be the company that dominates the access point for control over data as it migrates from the desktop/console to the cloud.

The console business (and how it reports on its performance) is just one cog in the machine.

Working theory. :)

This makes me feel as though Microsoft is trying to be 'better company' and say "Oh, it's not the hardware sales that matter, it's the yearly income".

Flat, you could probably correct me on this; but doesn't this seem a bit short-changing the developers? I mean, I realize that all the consoles and PC are converging for game development as porting seems to be easier nowadays, but this seems to give a disincentive for studios to try for exclusivity contracts--especially since Microsoft plays the exclusivity game with their devs too.

I would think the the developers who were hoping for a decent install base will be the ones most upset. If that happens, expect them to jump ship for the PS4 much the same way they originally jumped ship for the X360 when that came out.

The console wars continue, but I think Microsoft may have some 'splainin' to do to those they court. :ghost:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

There are so many people that won't use a cloud based OS in the world that I can't see MS, Apple or others provide ONLY that kind of solution to the masses. Internet connections aren't that perfect, or that secure. In the office we have a main server plus dumb terminals. The server has the last Win Terminal Server version. If something happens to the server we can't work and the solution never comes withing 15 mins. Usually comes after a couple of hours (with luck) or the next day. Ok, that happens 1 or 2 times a year, but I can extrapolate and say that if the server problems are to be coupled with problems in the Internet connection, then... I hate working that way. It's slower and we get more glitches than we'd get if we all use normal computers. I'd hate it even more if I must suffer the same at home.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

I'm neither a conspiracy theorist nor a knee-jerk Microsoft basher. So I deliberately didn't discuss the cynical theory behind MS reporting their Xbox results differently.

It's widely believed that PS4 units are continuing to outsell Xbones. But Xbox Live user stats have increased for the past couple of years. So -- the theory goes -- Microsoft are just doing some "creative accounting" to try to look better to shareholders.

I guess that's possible. But the theory I did describe, that MS are switching to a more web-centric vision for their business (and this reporting change is a strategic action to support that new vision), is also possible.

Bear in mind as well that Microsoft got only its third CEO recently. It wouldn't be strange to see MS reinvent itself about now, or that this would affect the role they see the Xbox playing to support a new vision of cloud-centric OS services.

Lum, to your point about access and infrastructure reliability: I don't disagree. All I was presenting was a guess at where MS might be going, and at the future of Windows, based on their actions over the past year or so. I'm not endorsing or condemning the idea of them shifting to a cloud OS. (For the moment, anyway. ;) ) I'm just describing the possibility.

That said... consider your objection from Microsoft's position 3-5 years from today. Their cloud OS is now serving hundreds of millions of users across multiple continents. At any given moment, the vast majority of them will be up and working and satisfied -- maybe not ecstatic, but they can do all the things they think they want to do, from crunching numbers in Excel to playing Steam games.

At the same time, there may be several neighborhoods that, for whatever reason, have lost connectivity. Let's use very conservative numbers and say 50,000 people are affected out of a total user base of only 50,000,000 users. That is one-tenth of one percent down, or one person out of a thousand.

Do you think that would be, or should be, enough to stop Microsoft from implementing a strategic shift they see as necessary for their business to remain competitive with Google for the next 20 years?

I'm not asking this question rhetorically to try to "win" a "debate" -- I'm really interested in what you think about the theory I've described.

Thing is... I do believe this clouding for everything will come. I believe it's inevitable. If you read Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End everything makes sense. I wish that it takes 10-15 years at least, but... What I mean with "I can't see MS, Apple, etc. doing it for the masses". I mean right now. There are too many dinosaurs (like me, being 35 years old... :roll: ) that like to be left alone to their devices. I connect to the world because I can and will, not because I must even if I only want to play a 20 years old game!
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Lum wrote:There are too many dinosaurs (like me, being 35 years old... ) that like to be left alone to their devices.
:shifty: So how long after the age of 35 years can you still be considered to be a dinosaur before you are forced to accept another label, Lum? Is there already one in use? Extinct I'm not but you seem to be much too young to be calling yourself a dinosaur. :angel:

I'm sure Cornflakes has some less than complimentary ideas. *chuckle*

Still liking Windows 10 very much and haven't been tempted to adopt any of the new bells and whistles...yet. :P

Well I've used CCleaner for years and I've got the latest Windows 10 OS update installed on my original black beast gaming rig. The update didn't touch CCleaner on my machine. I can't speak for the other software some are claiming has been affected but it seems to me that there is lots of scaremongering going on by those who just don't like Windows 10 or perhaps more specifically Microsoft. :angel:

Online Now