Return to “Everything & Anything”

Planes, Politics and Lasers! (Derail Thread)

Scytale wrote:^I actually rather suspect the F-35 won't be as much of a joke as people say. It's been doing very well in its tests
The F-35 has not been doing well in its tests. It gets outmaneuvered by the 40 year old F-16, its massive VR helmet doesn't fit in the cockpit with the top closed, a couple have caught fire, it can't carry the ordinance designed for it, it's 10s of billions over budget. It's so bad, the USAF has forbidden pilots from speaking about.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
Re: The Beginning of the Golden Days!

Arclite wrote:
Scytale wrote:^I actually rather suspect the F-35 won't be as much of a joke as people say. It's been doing very well in its tests
The F-35 has not been doing well in its tests. It gets outmaneuvered by the 40 year old F-16, its massive VR helmet doesn't fit in the cockpit with the top closed, a couple have caught fire, it can't carry the ordinance designed for it, it's 10s of billions over budget. It's so bad, the USAF has forbidden pilots from speaking about.
Yes, the approach at that time was to develop one model for all purposes and just adjust it for the various branches (Navy, Air Force, Army), hoping for reduced dev time and cost. However, this approach failed badly, see the Wiki entry. In short: Over budget, too little ordonance capacity, too short flight range and too poor maneuverability. The F-22 Raptor doesn't have most of those issues, and it will be interesting to see if the Chinese (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenyang_J-31) and Russian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_PAK_FA) 5th generation fighters will come close or exceed their American counterparts.

That being said, I sure hope I'll never see those fighters engage each other in real action.

Lum wrote:Oh no, you misunderstood... Piloted fighters are obsolete because that kind of war will soon become obsolete. That's also true for drones. Kudos for the iranies, at any rate :ghost:
I see this more as mankind becoming obsolete. I'm a German, and the American nukes on German soil (and even more so the modernized variants that German pilots - and other NATO partners - are supposed to be training with) send a shiver down my spine. The completely unnecessary stepping up the tensions by the US might soon enough lead to the next Cuban Crisis - and with loose cannons like the Poles, the Baltics or the Bulgarians you never know who has a twitchy trigger finger.

Netzbummler wrote:
Lum wrote:Oh no, you misunderstood... Piloted fighters are obsolete because that kind of war will soon become obsolete. That's also true for drones. Kudos for the iranies, at any rate :ghost:
I see this more as mankind becoming obsolete. I'm a German, and the American nukes on German soil (and even more so the modernized variants that German pilots - and other NATO partners - are supposed to be training with) send a shiver down my spine. The completely unnecessary stepping up the tensions by the US might soon enough lead to the next Cuban Crisis - and with loose cannons like the Poles, the Baltics or the Bulgarians you never know who has a twitchy trigger finger.
Yeah I know, I'm sort of with you on that one. Lets us not derail this topic any further, though :D
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Online Now