Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Who's all taking the Windows 10 plunge?

BFett wrote:I'll go with it on August 5th most likely. If there are a lot of bugs reported I may wait longer.
I'm looking forward to it actually. I had installed Win8 on my machine and hated every second of every day using it (don't even get me started on why the tablet interface was forced down PC user's throats). I kept at it for several months but finally got fed up having the OS fight me at every turn and everything I tried to do (I'm an under the hood kind of guy) and installed Win7 Pro back over it. I was resigned that Win7 would be my last Windows OS, but it looks like Win10 has redeemed itself.

Haven't had bluescreens on 7 either. And don't have a tablet to make it useful yet.

Although if the touchscreen stuff is good I might go for a touchscreen on my desktop build.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Will probably get the Pro edition that doesn't allow Microsoft to decide for me when it's going to push updates to my computer.

They've backtracked on that threat ever-so-slightly since it seems it's already causing Nvidia drivers to fail (http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleath ... d-updates/). But only ever-so-slightly: they're still going to force updates on your machine; they've just quietly offered a tool that can block or roll back some updates after they've already been installed. Better than nothing... for as long as Microsoft chooses to support the official tool that enables the rollbacks. No guarantees.

Nope. Not tolerating that. Even the Pro and Enterprise versions have a time limit in which you have to install updates, but that's better than being forced to do it immediately no matter what damage it causes.

Also not going to get Win 10 immediately. Never, ever buy the x.0 version of any software, especially operating systems. ;)

(Also, control tactics intended to prevent people from emigrating to other, less dictatorial regimes never works in the long run. Institutionalized organizations believe they are immune to this rule. It may take a long time if they're being propped up, but eventually they collapse under the weight of their Reality Distortion Field. And I say all this as someone who's never been a reflexive Microsoft-basher.)

I claimed my free copy, but I am not going to use it until I hear that most of all the games I have work with it. I have windows 8 and once I disabled the stupid app button things, I have no issues with it, so I will keep using it until I hear that games wont be wrecked if you upgrade to Win10, at least most of them. I would imagine that some older games are going to be incompatible, like what happened with Homeworld 1 and 2 originally before the remaster. I could only play them when I had XP, once I upgraded they wouldn't work anymore.

Online Now