Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Things That Made You Happy Today

Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:39 am
This is probably the wrong thread for this bit of rambling. :oops: :angel:
Not at all! It's a sort of happy off-topic thread. Everything is on-topic by default, if you're happy. :D I wish I could find spare parts for new computers lying around, though - that would be awesome.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Cody wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 am
<nods> Yep! I bought an i5-4690K (Devil's Canyon) only two months ago.
What I don't understand is why people selling secondhand CPU's expect to get the sort of money they are asking for. "It's had little use and it's never been overclocked" Hmm, for all I know you've thrashed the damn thing to hell and back! *suspicious emoji* :angel:
Talvieno wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 am
Not at all! It's a sort of happy off-topic thread. Everything is on-topic by default, if you're happy. I wish I could find spare parts for new computers lying around, though - that would be awesome.
:o :D That's good news for me, Nathan, I'm actually on-topic for a change. *smug emoji*

I think these computer parts go back to that time just before I decided to have that "expert" assembler of PC's do the job for me. That's not going to happen again for sure! :twisted: :angel:

Talvieno wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 am
I wish I could find spare parts for new computers lying around, though - that would be awesome.
Awesome, yes - but it tends to take up space. Currently, I have three cases, three mobos, three CPUs, three lots of RAM, two PSUs, two GPUs, two monitors, and several HDDs. This machine is obviously complete, but the others are in bits and pieces. I also have boxes full of cables, soundcards, keyboards, mice, connectors and suchlike. It's the age-old thing of if I throw it out, I'll need it next week. I am not alone in this.
Oolite Naval Attaché

i delayed overhouling my pc until next year (or until stuff like Bitcoin etc. crashes)

just imagine thousands of mining cards flooding the market. (granted half of them will be trash at that point thanks to constant straining.)

Also i repaired the computer of a friend (more malware than i have ever seen in my entire life) and it took me some time to do so. So after i managed to get that thing into working condition again my friend had already bought a new pc! Aaaaaand he does not need his old one anymore.

Free pc for me, wont complain.
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

Cody wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:20 pm
The retail variety with the throwaway cooler? I've got a couple of those coolers somewhere.
It's true that nowadays I rarely use the stock cooler supplied, Cody, but if you give it some thought there shouldn't be any problem with using it. Intel gives you a three-year warranty on the CPU package and they wouldn't supply a cooler which wasn't capable of seeing that CPU through those three years of daily usage. I always install enough fans to keep the case well ventilated and cool so I might just give it a go with what they supply. ;) :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:51 pm
Intel gives you a three-year warranty on the CPU package and they wouldn't supply a cooler which wasn't capable of seeing that CPU through those three years of daily usage.
Hmm... wouldn't they? Depends on the type of usage, I suppose.
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm
... and my mom got her new changed id card, making her now also legally my mom.
<scratches head> You adopted your mom? <grins>

On topic: the inexorable march of the seasons!
Oolite Naval Attaché

Cody wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm
Hmm... wouldn't they? Depends on the type of usage, I suppose.
Well, this PC is/was primarily destined to be a super browser of all things interweb and general office-type duties, Cody. It's overkill to have it set up for SLI but I have the graphics cards and the motherboard was originally purchased to be an upgrade for my gaming rig. As it now stands it's likely to be a very fair games machine as well. :D :angel:

Thanks Victor :D
Cody wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm
... and my mom got her new changed id card, making her now also legally my mom.
<scratches head> You adopted your mom? <grins>
Oh right not everyone has read everything I've ever posted here :ghost:
Said mom used to be my dad ;)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now