Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Eyes On The Skies

Doesn't sound very good for the sensor though...
Easier tip: if you don't have proper gear, make a small hole in a piece of paper and use it to make a projection of the sun on some surface. The round spot will become a sickle during the eclipse. Even lightspots from trees do this
Also, never look at the sun without proper solar glasses. Not through a CD or welding mask, they don't block UV, which is what damages your eyes.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

When the camera isn't running the diaphragm is closed, so not light reaches the sensor. How often do you turn on your camera and point it at the sun longer than a couple of seconds?
I'm not saying it will do damage, but I wouldn't risk it.
A more photographic reason though, I doubt you will actually see anything since the sun will most likely overexpose the whole image... What you can do is use the projection method I mentioned with your smartphone though. Make a tiny hole in a piece of aluminium foil and tape that over you lens.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:Whait, doesn't every camera have a shutter? How else do you control lighting? And exposition length? :?
Software.

Purely.

You can tune the "exposition lenght" by varying the time between emptying the charge out of the sensor and measuring it.

As in a CCD the accumulated charge is directly proportional to light intensity and charging time.

Its basically a solar cell with a small capacitor.

You empty out the cap and then measure the time between emptying and measuring the caps voltage.

The more time, the more voltage for given light exposure

Woke up. Forgot about it. Just got reminded at the absolute total of the thing. Looked at sun, spot burned into retina is crescent. Rummaged through stuff for old Soviet monocular. Made a projection. Crescent.

4/10, 1999 was better in every way.

By the way, welding masks block UV, because that's the stuff that damages eyes when welding as well. But just generally, don't look into the sun :D
panic

Online Now