Return to “Everything & Anything”

The 'What are you reading?' thread!

Fact: books are the best thing and any claims to the contrary come from awful philistine Luddites. FACT.

So what ya'll reading?

I just finished the Book Of The New Sun by Gene Wolfe last night, and it was quite a read. Highly recommend to anyone who's into long complex high fantasy/sci-fi type stuff that doesn't hold your hand through the narrative.

Next up, I'll be reading Vonnegut's Cat's Cradel, and then I'll either be finishing James Joyce's Ulysses or Joseph Heller's Closing Time(sequel to Catch-22 which, if not my favorite book, is certainly in the top five).

I work at a library so i can set my due dates to whenever i want, thus i have like 20 books out right now x3

your turn, everybody else! :U
Re: The 'What are you reading?' thread!

I have had a book on the go since iI was about 8 years old, finishing a book an immediately starting a new one. Needless to say my tastes have changed a bit since then. I mostly read fantasy novels, at the moment iI am eagerly awaiting the final installments of Jordans 'the wheel of time' and which has been finished by Brandon Sanderson, also in my list is the daylight war by Peter. v. Brett and patrck Rothfuss final novel in the kingkiller chronicle.

I have enjoyed Steven eriksons malazan book of the fallen, among many others, it will take me too long to write down and remember the names of them all off the top of my head lol.
iI wouldn't mind trying a bit of scfi, although high science style things such as asimov is beyond me lol, any suggestions as its never a bad thing to broaden reading habits :mrgreen:

I usually read multiple books at the same time, so right now its:

A Deepness in the Sky - Vinge
Edge of Infinity (short stories)
Use of Weapons - Banks

As far as series:
Midnight Tides (book 5 of the Malazan book of the Fallen series)
I'm waiting for Iron Jackel (Adventures of Ketty Jay series) to come to the US
Also waiting for Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse Series book 3) coming in June
Finally I'm waiting for the final Wheel of Time book coming out in 10 days or so.

Steel Neuron wrote:Sad as it sounds, this is what I'm taking to bed these days: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Algorithms
Now you're speaking my language! That was our textbook as well :D (I hated it.)

(Yes, sadly, I only read textbooks :| ...oh, and the LT forums, of course, thanks for reminding me Grumblesaur..)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Grumblesaur wrote:I'm reading the Limit Theory Forums at the moment.
:D this. I do have a book on the Paris Peace Conference of 1919, but I lost my spot in it so I haven't picked it up in a while! :p
Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

JoshParnell wrote:
Steel Neuron wrote:Sad as it sounds, this is what I'm taking to bed these days: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Algorithms
Now you're speaking my language! That was our textbook as well :D (I hated it.)
Oh, did you hate it? I hope I didnt make a mistake, because I bought it out of interest :P. I've never taken a course on algorithms and I needed some reference for collision detection and stuff.

A bit off topic: How do you manage to stay mentally sane? Seriously. I love what I do (programming, hardware design) but I get this irrational fear that if I keep working more and more hours I'll go nuts.

Right now I'm reading a massive (and massively boring) brick of a book called Heidenfrage und Slawenfrage im deutschen Mittelalter, plus another one called England and the Continent in the Tenth Century. Thesis-related stuff.

Of probably more general interest, I just finished the Faded Suns Trilogy by C. J. Cherry, and have her Merchanter's Luck and Fourty Thousand in Gehenna next in the queue, along with Anne McCaffrey's The Mystery of Ireta.
ZeletDude wrote: :D this. I do have a book on the Paris Peace Conference of 1919, but I lost my spot in it so I haven't picked it up in a while! :p
The one by Margaret MacMillan, by any chance? I recently finished that one.

Lanfranc wrote:Right now I'm reading a massive (and massively boring) brick of a book called Heidenfrage und Slawenfrage im deutschen Mittelalter, plus another one called England and the Continent in the Tenth Century. Thesis-related stuff.

Of probably more general interest, I just finished the Faded Suns Trilogy by C. J. Cherry, and have her Merchanter's Luck and Fourty Thousand in Gehenna next in the queue, along with Anne McCaffrey's The Mystery of Ireta.
ZeletDude wrote: :D this. I do have a book on the Paris Peace Conference of 1919, but I lost my spot in it so I haven't picked it up in a while! :p
The one by Margaret MacMillan, by any chance? I recently finished that one.

Yeah it's that one, I think I was about halfway through, somewhere on the Balkans, maybe past that. It was pretty good, I ought to find the place I was in and read it again :p
Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

Online Now