Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Marmite and Vegemite vs. Taste

Slymodi wrote:I found that there was marmite in my house, I didn't particularly like it :? , maybe I am eating it wrong :P

~Sly
Very likely.
Marmite is, as Victor said, something that needs to be thinly spread, and is often disliked by people not raised on it.

Try a thin spread on bread, with cheese on top, stuck under the grill until the cheese starts to go brown on top. :D
It's the best serving suggestion I have. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Scytale wrote:I lost patience and bought a jar of vegemite on Amazon. Soon I'll have all the resources necessary~

(thanks for your kind words Victor~)
The words were meant, Scytale. :angel:

I would still like to know what your better half thinks of this grand project and I hope she will join you in the tasting. ;)

Is she aware that you are a Face Dancer? *chuckle*

Scytale wrote:I lost patience and bought a jar of vegemite on Amazon. Soon I'll have all the resources necessary~
I hear evil laughter, does anyone else hear evil laughter? :think: :shifty: :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

(thanks for your kind words Victor~)
Should have bought NZ Marmite instead, it's far better. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Victor! I agree that I would like my wife in on the testing - I will see what I can do about setting aside time for a joint-session. If not, her notes could make a 'part 2' of the study.

Now, I have both Vegemite and Marmite. My Vegemite jar arrived by post not long ago. One thing I still lack is a toaster. In your sage opinion, Victor, should I do the test with toast or regular bread? Or both?

Scytale wrote:Victor! I agree that I would like my wife in on the testing - I will see what I can do about setting aside time for a joint-session. If not, her notes could make a 'part 2' of the study.

Now, I have both Vegemite and Marmite. My Vegemite jar arrived by post not long ago. One thing I still lack is a toaster. In your sage opinion, Victor, should I do the test with toast or regular bread? Or both?
I like the serious thought you are giving to the approach you intend taking in these tests, Scytale. :thumbup: :D

I do have a preference for hot buttered toast with Marmite but I have tried it with plain bread and butter. Give it a go with both but for me the toast version definitely has the edge. :)

It will be interesting to know if your wife agrees with you on your findings. :angel:

A brief update: bread has been toasted, vegemite and marmite have been spread, chews have been chewed, and notes have been made. There are a few components to the tests, and certainly more than one characteristic up for comparison between the candidates, so I'm not done yet, but things are coming along well.

I believe I am developing a slight preference for one of the spreads. I won't say which one. I do in principle fear that this may compromise my ability to be truly unbiased in my assessment, but since I am here as an observer rather than judge I think everything should be ok. However, both are delicious (in slightly different ways), and each has advantages and disadvantages not common to the other.

For those of you curious to try either spread without having done so before, I suggest using light-to-medium toasted sourdough with a thin spread of margarine or butter and a correspondingly thin spread of marmite or vegemite. It is better to underestimate the amount of 'mite you will need rather than overestimate. If you spread too thick a layer you are likely to regret it. You mileage, of course, may vary.

Talvieno wrote:
Scytale wrote:If you spread too thick a layer you are likely to regret it.
This one sentence of warning is enough to thoroughly discourage me from ever trying either of these spreads. :lol:
Haha! Well, it's a bit like salt: in small amounts, salt is great, but it becomes sort of bitter and totally overwhelms other tastes in great quantities. The 'mites are like this, except that rather than enhancing the taste of whatever they're added to, they bring their own. But the taste does transform into something uhhhhh unpalatable if one is too zealous with them.

Online Now