Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Marmite and Vegemite vs. Taste

Talvieno wrote:
Silverware wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:He was in the irc lately and said hes about to deliver.

And its looooong
... Men can't have babies... is Node a secretLady? :ghost:
Scytale, not node, Silver. Pay attention. :D
Same comment, towards Scytale then instead. :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I'm both bored enough and curious enough to try this myself. Having grown up in the US, I was never exposed to these 'mite spread substances. I can guarantee that my comparison won't be nearly as comprehensive as Scytale's is likely to be, but I'll definitely post something about the experience.

Amazon order has been placed and even threw some Bovrite on there. I didn't see any beef Bovril (only chicken) in my 12 second search, but judging from the reviews, Bovrite was pretty darn close. I know it's not the same as the 'mites but thought, "why the heck not".

Expect something in a week or so..

...I am oddly excited to test this out.

Edit: maaann vegemite will arrive sometime around the 31st. Full testing delayed until then.

Well, this thread lacks taste.

Indeed the real tasty salty brownish-black spread is obviously "Cenovis".
The website is in all languages that counts for a local Swiss product except Italian: http://www.cenovis.ch/de/cenovis.
But you don't need to understand to feel the grandiose taste of those creations: http://www.cenovis.ch/de/cenovis/rezepte.

Enough said about this second greatest invention of the human mind...
(the first one is the moon-boot: it's cold here in winter :lol: )

Well, I went to finally compare the odd-smelling and generally unappealing looking substances only to find that I didn't have any bread for a proper test. "No problem" says I. "I have a bread machine, I'll just make a loaf of tasty bread to attempt this with". I learned two very important things at this point:

1. I clearly have no idea how to make decent bread. Despite my best internet recipe following skills.
2. Making tasty bread is tough when you aren't a great mediocre cook. There is obviously some magic involved.

Now, to say that the resulting bread was bad isn't necessarily correct. I didn't immediately vomit while eating it. I could actually make it through the entire loaf if forced. I hate wasting food so I'm going to choke that stuff down at some point. A decision was made to buy the most bland bread available. I'll be purchasing a loaf of wonder bread tonight.

This will actually work out well. It'll give me a chance to really focus on the nuanced flavors of the ... substances ... without influencing the taste too much. I'll be trying the buttered toast method, plain untoasted bread, and toasted, buttered and cheesy bread.

I will say this about presentation. The vegemite came in a squeeze tube (it was the only way to get this in a timely fashion).. Like toothpaste. I'll be eating brown goo from a toothpaste tube :problem: . Yum. I will try not to let this bias my comparison though.

Whew. :wtf:

That's quite the assault on the senses. I'm going to have to break these tests down to give my mouth a chance to recover from the war that was just fought. I couldn't find the true Wonder bread so I just picked the cheapest white bread I could find at the store.

Test One -- Vegemite vs Marmite -- Buttered toast -- This was done twice. First was with butter totally melted and second was slightly warm with the butter softened but not totally melted. The substance was spread thinly on each piece of bread and I tried to cleanse what was left of my palate after each test.

Marmite - Basically feels like getting punched in the face with a salty fist. The flavors hit me in two distinct waves that I was able to discern before passing out. First was some saltiness and then what I can only describe as 'yeastiness?' Honestly I can't find the words to describe the taste as I have nothing to compare it to.

Vegemite - Similar situation. This seemed a bit more tempered though. Less offensive combative intense than the Marmite. I found the saltiness and whatever the second flavor wave was, tended to blend together a little better. This resulted in a more pleasurable experience.

Current score
Vegemite -- 1
Marmite -- 0

I hope you all are reading this with a sense of humor. It's meant to be light hearted and hopefully slightly funny. I enjoy trying new foods and I'm having fun with it. :ghost:
Last edited by e30m on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excellent comparison e30m! My own experiences are recorded as promised in the attached.

edit: I should add that this isn't quite as comprehensive as I would have liked, but I do have a measure of the process nailed down now and this can be extended if any interested parties so wish.
Attachments
mvmites.pdf
Marmite & Vegemite Comparison
(253.25 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Scytale wrote:Excellent comparison e30m! My own experiences are recorded as promised in the attached.

edit: I should add that this isn't quite as comprehensive as I would have liked, but I do have a measure of the process nailed down now and this can be extended if any interested parties so wish.
Extremely impressive read Scytale! I fear my review is about as scientific as it'll get for me. Any more detail might result in me passed out, drooling on the keyboard. After reading your findings, I went back to revisit my own initial testing. I found your 'smoky' flavor description to be spot on. That was the descriptor I was searching for while drowning myself in the sink cleansing my palate. I will, however, try to keep that from influencing my assessment in future tests.

I'll try to complete the last of my testing this weekend. Work has been kicking my butt and I've been getting home too late to get anything valuable done.

I don't actually dislike either of these spreads (despite my reactions to them). Not having grown up with either of these had left me somewhat unprepared for the intensity of 'flavor' that hit me during my first round of tests. I can't say that I'd continue to buy them after this is finished but I find that this experience is quite valuable for me. As I said, I really enjoy trying foods from various cultures. As a result I've eaten some pretty strange (and delicious) things compared to typical American cuisine.

I'm really curious to try these spreads in cooking. I believe Victor posted a youtube video of someone making pasta with it. Seems like the salty flavor punch could really add to some dishes.

Online Now