Return to “Everything & Anything”

Visualizing Genius

In movies, when the genius is thinking their "genius thoughts", this is often represented visually - shapes or equations floating through the air. Are there any movies (or tv shows, etc) where the visualizations displayed actually have anything to do with the subject of the thoughts? It would be cool to look at something like that and actually have some sense of following the train of thought.
Re: Visualizing Genius

Talvieno wrote:
DWMagus wrote:Hrmm, if I'm guessing right, then an example I can think of off the top of my head would be the movie A Beautiful Mind. Good movie.
When I read the first post I almost suggested the exact same movie, before I saw that you already had. :D I love that one.
Beautiful Minds think alike! :D

I love that movie too. I need to re-watch it.

And on a similar note, I still need to try and catch Imitation Game before it leaves theaters. Something tells me that ranks up there too.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Flatfingers wrote:I will admit to feeling pretty smug, at the end of the previous season, to have predicted generally how the last season of Sherlock would end. :)

Looking forward to the next episodes!

(But the original stories are still better IMO. ;))
Is Watson still generally a buffoon in the new episodes? I've largely stayed away from Sherlock because the little I saw of it featured a hapless, somewhat incompetent Watson. I thought one of the most effective things about the stories (and especially the 80s TV adaptation) was that Watson was an already capable, smart man, just dwarfed in scope and depth by Holmes. Here I got the impression he was just comic relief.

Scytale wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:I will admit to feeling pretty smug, at the end of the previous season, to have predicted generally how the last season of Sherlock would end. :)

Looking forward to the next episodes!

(But the original stories are still better IMO. ;))
Is Watson still generally a buffoon in the new episodes? I've largely stayed away from Sherlock because the little I saw of it featured a hapless, somewhat incompetent Watson. I thought one of the most effective things about the stories (and especially the 80s TV adaptation) was that Watson was an already capable, smart man, just dwarfed in scope and depth by Holmes. Here I got the impression he was just comic relief.
He is overwhelmed in the first few episodes, but at the very least he becomes very competent as the series moves on. Certainly he isn't comic relief. In fact, he's usually the straight man to Sherlock (who makes far more jokes). Plus, Moriarty has some of the best acting I've seen period. I'm sure the originals are better (I've yet to read all but the first book), but this is definitely good. ^_^
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Online Now