Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Rocket Lunches

Cornflakes_91 wrote:that guy appears almost as confident in his speak as i am with a topic im only vaguely familiar :ghost:
But in this case, Elon knows what he is talking about. :ghost:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

IronDuke wrote:Only if it's less risky than driving in rush hour traffic, and there's a way back whenever I want. :monkey: :shifty: :ghost:

--IronDuke
Nothing is more risky than driving in rush hour traffic.

Also, by "a way back," do you mean with your reproductive organs intact? (Stupid solar radiation....)

Seriously, the radiation thing needs to get figured out, both on the trip there and in situ. One interesting idea I've seen (I think in one of Carol Stoker's "Case for Mars" compendia) was to fill the outer shell of the main crew cabin of the spacecraft with water. Not only does that provide water for drinking and hygiene, which also happens to be composed of tasty oxygen and hydrogen, it's also reasonably OK at blocking a fair amount of Evil Space Weather.

But even that probably wouldn't stop everything, especially if the trip takes months and there's a major solar flare in your direction during the trip. Becoming sterile would be the least of your worries.

(Sigh. The romance of space travel versus some of the unpleasant realities.)

Flatfingers wrote:
IronDuke wrote:Only if it's less risky than driving in rush hour traffic, and there's a way back whenever I want. :monkey: :shifty: :ghost:

--IronDuke
Nothing is more risky than driving in rush hour traffic.

Also, by "a way back," do you mean with your reproductive organs intact? (Stupid solar radiation....)

Seriously, the radiation thing needs to get figured out, both on the trip there and in situ. One interesting idea I've seen (I think in one of Carol Stoker's "Case for Mars" compendia) was to fill the outer shell of the main crew cabin of the spacecraft with water. Not only does that provide water for drinking and hygiene, which also happens to be composed of tasty oxygen and hydrogen, it's also reasonably OK at blocking a fair amount of Evil Space Weather.

But even that probably wouldn't stop everything, especially if the trip takes months and there's a major solar flare in your direction during the trip. Becoming sterile would be the least of your worries.

(Sigh. The romance of space travel versus some of the unpleasant realities.)
I saw one proposal for the 2018 Inspiration Mars flyby mission that would have radiation shielding be provided by water, the food supplies, and later, the astronauts' poo. Would be rather unpleasant for the astronauts, but I imagine radiation sickness or sterility would be more unpleasant!

According to Atomic Rockets, there's also some proposals for using plasma bubbles or strong magnetic fields to try and divert radiation. I imagine it will be some time before it's worth it mass-wise to put that kind of stuff in, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

cuisinart8 wrote: According to Atomic Rockets, there's also some proposals for using plasma bubbles or strong magnetic fields to try and divert radiation. I imagine it will be some time before it's worth it mass-wise to put that kind of stuff in, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.
depending on the power source its worth it very fast to use some kind of field tech to do it.
water is dense and heavy, and without a thermal nuclear rocket as main engine its of limited use in the giant quantities needed for shielding.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
cuisinart8 wrote: According to Atomic Rockets, there's also some proposals for using plasma bubbles or strong magnetic fields to try and divert radiation. I imagine it will be some time before it's worth it mass-wise to put that kind of stuff in, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.
depending on the power source its worth it very fast to use some kind of field tech to do it.
water is dense and heavy, and without a thermal nuclear rocket as main engine its of limited use in the giant quantities needed for shielding.
Very true. Basically as soon as we develop plasma shield or EM field generators that mass less than the equivalent amount of matter-based shielding, we might expect to start seeing that kind of thing in spacecraft.

Talvieno wrote:Lol, it is! And put in a museum so it doesn't explode, maybe. I'd be afraid to lose that one.
Na, I think their plan is to keep reusing it. So they can see just how well they'll last. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now